Liberty Avenue (MP
3.51) in Union crossed the Rahway Valley Railroad at grade. At
the time of the railroad’s construction through this area in
1905 this roadway was named Springfield Road. Later this
portion of the roadway was renamed Liberty Avenue while the
portion between Western Electric and Route 22 remained
Springfield Road. The Rahway Valley Railroad constructed a
small passenger station here known as Katemiller Station, but
later renamed Arion Station in 1907. Passenger timetables
mention this stop, albeit a flag stop, until as late as 1914.
This area remained rural for many years and the nearby
Farcher’s Grove and Union Race Track providing outdoor
recreation. This portion of the railroad began to take on a
more industrial atmosphere with the construction of Western
Electric (telephones) and Breeze-Eastern (helicopters). The
railroad only ever served Western Electric. Although Breeze
had a rail siding it was never utilized nor was it ever
connected to the main track. Service dwindled on the portions
of the RV west of this location in the 1980’s. The last train
to pass this crossing did so in 1986.
Wm. Wyer &
Report on Rahway Valley
Liberty Ave., Union, N.J.
One track (main).
Asphalt macadam road
Vehicular - Medium
See George Clark's letter from June 28,
operating procedures over this crossing. Click
here to see a film clip of #13 crossing
In color! circa 1950's.