Facebook Page
West Somerset Mineral Railway
An Outline History of the
West Somerset Mineral Railway
Introduction Bibliography
## This Page is Under Construction ##

Seal of the West Somerset Mineral Railway

Comberow station circa-1866
Comberow station circa-1866


The West Somerset Mineral Railway (WSMR) was an independant railway in West Somerset, constructed as a standard gauge (4' 8") single-track line. Its main purpose was to carry iron ore from the mines on the Brendon Hills done to the port at Watchet, but it also provided a public passenger service. The first section was opened for traffic in 1857 and passenger services commenced formally in 1865.. With a decline in traffic towards the end of the 19th century the railway was closed completely in 1898. It was re-opened in 1907, but with little success - the company was wound-up in 1910 and the railway was abandoned formally in 1923.. Although part of its route passed close to the Minehead Branch of the Great Western Railway it had no physical connection with any other railway, except on a few occasions when a temporary connection was installed between the WSMR and GWR for the transfer of rolling-stock.

To be continued.....

Chris Osment 2003


Introduction Bibliography Facebook Page