Green is a park dating back to 1733 in New York City. That year it was set up as
a circular bowling green. Grateful colonists erected a statue of King George III
after parliament repealed the Townshend taxes. The Dutch had
traded cattle here.
July 6, 1776, George Washington read the Declaration of Independence to his
troops in New York City. Following this the troops and the citizenry tore down
the King’s statue and melted the lead down to make bullets.
actual bowling green was removed to Central Park in 1914 (where it still
remains) following subway construction. The original colonial iron fence that
surrounded Bowling Green is still there surrounding the park today, minus the
crowns above the posts, pulled off by the revolutionaries in 1776.
Bowling Green Station of the Lexington Avenue IRT is the last stop in Manhattan
before Brooklyn. Once there was also a loop station at South Ferry for the east
side line. This loop is no longer used for passenger trains, local trains
terminate at Brooklyn Bridge station now, and loop around City Hall Station,
soon to be a museum. I do not know how this loop is used today, only west
side IRT trains go to South Ferry for decades.
station building, completed 1905, is actually diagonally across from Bowling
Green at the corner of Battery
first residence of President Washington was just across the street. Also across
the street at #1 Broadway is the former Washington Building, when built in 1885,
the largest building in the world (and tallest until 1890). In 1920, its mansard
roof was removed and it was reconstructed as New International Mercantile Marine
Building, winning a national award for its redesign. If you view this
building’s southern side today you will see over the doors “First Class”
and “Cabin”, possibly entrances once for the different classes of
Bowling Green IRT Station, designed by the same engineers who built the IRT, is
a rare remainder of the original IRT stations, 72nd Street on
Broadway being the other still in Manhattan.