GM&O Depots in Illinois
On this page we will visit the Gulf, Mobile & Ohio. The three depots are all
on the Chicago - St. Louis mainline. All photos are dated between 1900 and
1905 and are from the Detroit Publishing Co. collection at the Library of
The first depot is Braidwood. This depot is 57 miles from Chicago and 20
miles from Joliet. Between South Joliet and Mazonia, GM&O has two lines.
The first is entirely GM&O owned and was used by all passenger trains and
some way freights. This is the line that goes through Braidwood, along with
Wilmington and Mullins. The second line, going through Plaines, Pequot and
Coal City, was used by freights. The section between Plaines and Pequot was
jointly owned by GM&O and Santa Fe.
The next depot is Dwight, 79 miles from Chicago. Dwight is where the branch
to Streator, Lacon and Washington cut off and was a stop for two passenger
trains in each direction in 1966.
The last depot is Cayuga, 87 miles from Chicago and 40 miles from Bloomington. In 1966, no passenger trains were scheduled to stop at Cayuga.