MOC All Time Roster
MOC 520 .......... GE 45 Ton centercab
MOC 1800 .......... EMD GP7L - former Alaska RR, nee US Army
Refurbished and painted by Midwest Locomotive of Kansas City, MO.
Missouri Central 1800 was returned to Midwest Locomotive on lease, at the time of the transfer of operations to the Central Midland. MOC 520 currently sits unused at Lackland Yard. The CMR leases various locomotives from Helm Leasing (HLCX) for power.
Click on any photo for a full sized version.
MOC train through Chesterfield in late 2001. - Photo by Pat Scott
MOC train through Creve Coeur Park in late 2001. - Photo by Pat Scott
CMR train through Creve Coeur Park in early 2002. - Photo by Pat Scott
CMR train switching in Maryland Heights in mid 2004.
CMR train near Lackland Yard in late 2004. - Photo by Pat Scott
Info on the Central Midland:
The Central Midland Railway runs on the former Rock Island St. Louis Subdivision from near Kansas City, MO to Rock Island Junction, near St. Louis Missouri. The line was originally built by the St. Louis & Western in 1887 to link St. Louis with Kansas City and points west. The Rock Island operated the line until their bankruptcy in 1980, although some mystery surrounds the date of the last train, as the line was in such poor condition, it is possible the last through train ran in 1979.
In 1980 the Southern Pacific took over operation of the line, with initial intent to upgrade the entire route from St. Louis, Missouri to Tucamcari, New Mexico, however, because of trackage rights granted to SP as a condition of the UP / MP merger, the SP found no reason to operate the line as a through route between St. Louis and Kansas City. SP operated a local between Lackland Yard and Owensville until the mid 1990s, then cut back their operations westward to Union, MO. In addition to the local, SP also ran a coal train generally once a week from April 1990 to July 1995 to Union Electricís generating plant at Labadie, MO. This train operated over the UPís Sedalia Subdivision into St. Louis, then on the TRRA from Gratiot Tower to Rock Island Junction, and west on the SP to Labadie.
The 1996 merger of the SP into Union Pacific resulted in UPís continued operation of the line. Unit coal trains to Union Electric were discontinued as UP already had access to Labadie via their Sedalia Sub. UP ran a local to Union as well as a yard switcher to work various industries in Maryland Heights and near Lackland Yard. UP leased the line from Vigus to Pleasant Hill, MO in 2000 to a newly formed railroad, the Missouri Central. Original power for MOC was leased EMD GP7, Midwest Locomotive (MWLX) 2017. The only unit named for Missouri Central, MOC GP7L 1800, came to the railroad in late 2000.- Pat Scott
The Central Midland's base of operations is at the former Rock Island Lackland Yard in Maryland Heights, MO.
Adie Road Location
Click on map for larger version.
Central Midland Railway
101 W. Ohio Street, Ste. 1600
Indianapolis, IN 46204
Contact David Oesch, Manager of Operations, at:
Official Central Midland Railway Website