Central London Railway Rolling Stock Photos
Fig. 1: CLR Locomotive and Train
An original Central London Railway train with electric
locomotive at Wood Lane Depot in 1903. The train is standing on the original
shunting neck, which was connected to the original terminus station at Shepherds Bush.
Wood Lane itself is immediately behind the camera position, the locomotive standing
facing the buffer stops, which are separated from Wood Lane by a wall.
The new station at Wood Lane was built on this site in
1908. The tracks were lowered by about 4 metres (13 feet) and a loop was formed by
diverting the track to the right and taking it back to Shepherds Bush.
To the Top of this Page
Fig. 2: CLR Multiple Unit Train
The whole Central London fleet was converted to
multiple unit operation in 1903 because of the vibration caused by the electric
locomotives. New motor cars, like the one shown here, were purchased and formed
into 6- or 7-car trains with the existing trailer cars. Note the inter-car barrier, provided in the form of a
compressible "Bostwick" type. Barriers of one sort or another were
provided between most Underground cars until the mid-1920s. Only in the late 1990s
have they re-appeared.