R Stock at Wimbledon
Between 1947 and 1959, the District acquired a number of
cars known as the R Stock. The first ones were steel-bodied but later examples were
aluminium-bodied. A few of the aluminium cars were delivered unpainted and the
practice was continued for all new cars built from 1959 until the 1992 Tube Stock appeared
on the Central Line.
Eventually the R Stock cars originally painted red were
painted silver to match the unpainted cars. This photo shows the leading car of the
train is painted and the second car unpainted. All cars of R Stock were powered,
each having half the axles motored.