TrainWeb.org Facebook Page
Lakeside Power Plant
Power Plants
    In addition to TMER&L's interurban and streetcar operation, they also maintained electric switching operations at their
Lakeside and Port Washington Power Plants.  After the abandonment of interurban and streetcar operations, these switching
operations continued to draw railfans.
    Operations at Lakeside were by far the most extensive.  Carloads of coal were brought in from interchanges with the
Chicago & Northwestern and Milwaukee Road via the Belt Line.  It was unloaded from railroad hoppers and stored in huge
piles until needed.  Electric shovels and cranes reloaded coal into TM hoppers to transport to the rotory dumper.
    Of special interest was the employee shuttle operated from the Lakeside Plant through the coal yards to Kinnickinnic Ave.  
This service used a variety of streetcars through the years.  Although intended for employees, railfans were usually able to
catch a ride.
    Switching was handled by their fleet of home-built steeplecab locos, but with the demise of the streetcar and interurban
lines, many other pieces of equipment found their way to Lakeside.  Although seldom, if ever used, they escaped scrapping
and were later donated to TWERHS.
LAKESIDE
April 15, 1921 - Plant opens.  First in world to burn
pulverized coal.  Soon holds world record for efficiency.
At first, coal is unloaded from ships at Kinnickinnic River
and hauled through streets to Lakeside.  Connection is soon
made with C&NW near Howard Ave.
Because few employees own autos, a shuttle service runs
between power plant and streetcar line on Kinnickinnic Ave.
Variety of cars used through the years.
1925 - Generating 86% of electricity for TMER&L.
1931 - Work begins on Lakeside Beltline railroad intended
as freight by-pass for traffic between Milwaukee, Racine
and Kenosha, as well as bringing in coal.  Built with
minimum of grade crossings.
April 17, 1932 - Beltline opens from coal yards west to
Rapid Transit Line near 100th and Howard Ave.  Also
connects with C&NW, the M-R-K interurban line and the
Milwaukee Road at Powerton Jct.
1950's - With end of Rapid Transit service, Belt Line
abandoned west of Powerton Jct.
E-Z Paintr is the last industry on line.
May 8, 1961 - Shuttle service discontinued.
1969 - Lakeside converted to natural gas.  Tracks from
scales west sold to C&NW.  Used to store bad-order cars
waiting repairs at Cudahy shops.
Surplus equipment, track and wire donated to TWERHS
and moved to East Troy.
Loco L-9 remains to shuttle supplies.
1970's - Natural gas shortage causes Lakeside to bring in
tank cars of fuel oil.  L-10 returned from East Troy to assist
L-9.
1976 - CNW removes track connection. L-9, L-10 M-26
and portable substation stranded.
1979 - Army Corps moves L-9 to East Troy on trucks as
part of training.
1984 - L-10, M-26 and portable sub sold to IRM and
moved to Union, IL.
PORT WASHINGTON
Sept. 1, 1935 - Power Plant opens. Rail connection made to
TMER&L Milwaukee-Sheboygan line (former Milwaukee
Northern Rwy.)  Interchange made with C&NW.
Most coal brought in by ship.  Locos mostly used to shuttle
cars within plant and bring in supplies from C&NW.
Sept. 23, 1940 - Passenger service discontinued between
Sheboygan and Port Washington.
Mar. 29, 1948 - Passenger service discontinued between
Milwaukee and Port Washington.  Portion of line between
power plant and CNW remains for power plant operation.
1976 - Electric freight operation ends.  Track, wire and
equipment donated to TWERHS.
Reddy Kilowatt, the symbol used by
several electric companies wore a
workcap on this emblem from the
side of the locos.
Car 523 was one of several streetcars assigned to the
Lakeside shuttle through the years.
L-9 pulls a string of hopper cars into the interchange with
the Milwaukee Road know as "Powerton Jct". along the
Lakeside Belt Line.



Although TM's homebuilt steeplecabs were built for hauling
interchange freight on their interurban lines as well as
moving coal hoppers at the power plants, most interchange
freight was handled by their M-series freight motors, and
the steeplecabs spent most of their time at the power plants.
L-8 with a loaded hopper car at Port Washington Power
Plant.  All the locos were home-built in TM's own shops,
but no two were exactly alike.  L-8 was the longest.
A well-kept, L-10 sits amid hoppers in the Lakeside power
plant yard.