Facebook Page
     After most of TMER&L's interurban system had been abandoned or cutback, Rapid Transit service remained from
Milwaukee to Hales Corners and Waukesha.   Following brief ownerships by Kenosha Motor Coach Lines, Shore Line Transit
and Northland Greyhound, these two lines were sold to Jay Maeder from Cleveland.  Maeder was very familiar with TM,
having rode it many times while a cadet at St. John's Military Academy.
     Maeder formed the Milwaukee Rapid Transit & Speedrail Co., which was more commonly known simply as Speedrail.   
The first official run was Sept 2, 1949.
     To save costs the company purchased the ten articulated streetcars (1031-32 to 1049-50) from TMER&T and
renumbered them 31-32 to 49-50.  He also brought six second hand one-man, lightweight curveside cars from Cleveland
(Shaker Heights) and numbered those 60 - 65.  He later added two more cars from Shaker Heights, number 300 and 301.  
Several of the heavyweight TM interurbans remained on the  roster for peak travel times.
     Although they seemed to be holding their own financially, a major accident during a fan trip on Labor Day of 1950 caused
10 deaths and many injuries.  The resulting claims and loss of ridership put the company in a downward spiral.
All service ended on June 30, 1951.
Although they both came from Shaker Heights, the 60-series and the 300's having been built years apart, were very
different in style.  These lightweight cars were intended to supplement the 1030-series articulated cars for smaller loads at
off-peak times.  The 60-series were usually found on the Waukesha runs, while the 300's being older and a bit wider
(close clearances at Waukesha loop) were confined to the Hales Corners runs.
Speedrail 33-34 heads through Waukesha.
Built for TMER&L  South Milwaukee suburban service as
1031-1032 through 1039-1040 these ten units were acquired by
Speedrail to replace the heavy-weight interurbans.
Their seating capacity and light weight made them ideal for the
Rapid Transit commuter service
Ideally, Speedrail would have replaced all these heavy-weight
interurbans with the lighter cars, but there weren't enough
available on the used car market and several single and duplex
units were kept on hand.
Although use by Speedrail prolonged their lives, most met the
scrapper in 1951.  Four won a brief reprieve by going to the
London & Port Stanley line in Canada.
The only two still in existence are now preserved at the Illinois
Railway Museum.