TrainWeb.org Facebook Page
wisconsin trolleys 1
Wisconsin Trolleys
     In addition to larger cities such as Milwaukee and Madison, many other Wisconsin communities were served by electric transit.
Cities as small as Portage had a local streetcar system, or were connected to their neighbors by interurbans.
     We don't  go into a detailed history of each here, but have provided a brief outline.   In some cases there were several changes in names or
ownership.  When we use names, we used the more common names.
     If you would like more info on a specific community, we suggest "Badger Traction" and "TM" (TMER&L) published by  CERA. Although
out of print, you may find copies at the library, second hand book stores, or railroad shows.

APPLETON
The first Wisconsin city to have electric streetcars.  Service began in 1886 using the Van Depeole system.  This proved unsatisfactory and was
soon replaced with the Sprague system, which became the industry standard.  Later became a subsidiary of TMER&L.
Appleton was also connected by interurban to Neenah on June 19, 1898 and to Kaukauna on Jan. 29, 1902.
These interurbans were in turn connected to interurbans to Fond Du Lac.  The interurban connection ended May 9, 1928.
The last city streetcar ran April 6, 1930. (There is a video of the Appleton streetcar on YouTube).

ASHLAND
Small local streetcar system from Jan. 22, 1893 to Sept. 25, 1933.

BELGIUM
Served by interurbans of the Milwaukee Northern Rwy (later TMER&L) Sept. 12, 1908 to Sept. 23, 1940.

BELOIT
City streetcar service from July 31, 1907 to Aug. 12, 1930.  Connected by interurban to Rockford from June 22, 1902 to Sept. 30, 1930.  
Connected by interurban to Janesville from Nov. 22, 1902 to July 20, 1929.

BIG BEND
Served by interurbans on TMER&L's Milwaukee to East Troy line from July 3, 1907 to Aug. 14, 1939.

BURLINGTON
Terminal of TMER&L's Milwaukee to Burlington interurban line.  Service from July 2, 1909 to May 2, 1938.

BROWN DEER
Served by interurbans from Milwaukee Northern Rwy (later TMER&L),  from Oct. 28, 1907 to Mar. 29, 1948.
MN Rwy also operated a suburban type service from Milwaukee to Brown Deer.

CEDARBURG
Headquarters of Milwaukee Northern Rwy.  Served by interurbans from MN Rwy, later TMER&L from Oct. 28, 1907 to Mar. 29, 1948.

CEDAR GROVE
Served by interurbans of Milwaukee Northern Rwy, later TMER&L from Sept. 12, 1908 to Sept. 23, 1940.

CHIPPEWA FALLS
See Eau Claire.

CRYSTAL LAKE
See Sheboygan.

CUDAHY
Served by TMER&L interurbans on the Milwaukee-Racine-Kenosha line from June 9, 1897 to Dec. 31, 1947.
Also served by TMER&L South Milwaukee suburban service from June 1, 1897 to Aug. 3, 1941.

DELAFIELD
Served by interurbans on TMER&L's Milwaukee to Watertown line from June 3, 1907 to July 21, 1941.

DE PERE
See Green Bay

EAST TROY
Terminal of TMER&L's Milwaukee to East Troy interurban line.  Passenger service from Dec. 31, 1907 to Aug. 14, 1939.
Portion of line from East Troy to Mukwonago purchased by Village of East Troy to maintain freight connection to SOO Line.
Freight service operated electrically to 1972, when small diesel took over.
East Troy Trolley Museum operated museum passenger service 1972 to 1984.  In 1986 East Troy Electric Railway began its museum
passenger service and resumed electric freight service.  Line is still operating.

EAU CLAIRE
City streetcar service Nov. 5, 1889 to April 8, 1932.  Line to Chippewa Falls Sept. 2, 1898 to Aug. 7, 1926.
Also served Lake Hallie Park.

ELKHART LAKE
See Sheboygan

FOND DU LAC
Local streetcar service from 1899 to 1931.  Connected by interurban to Oshkosh and Neenah from Jan. 28, 1903 to July 31, 1927.

FONTANA
Connected by interurban line to Walworth, WI and Harvard, IL from July 4, 1898 to the summer of 1931.

GRAFTON
Served by interurbans of Milwaukee Northern Rwy (later TMER&L) from Nov. 2, 1907 to Mar. 29, 1948.

GREEN BAY
City streetcar service began June 8, 1894.  Extended to East De Pere in 1896 and to Duck Creek in 1902.
Last city streetcar ran Nov. 17, 1937.  Also connected by interurban to De Pere and Kaukauna 1904 to 1928.

HALES CORNERS
Served by interurbans on TMER&L's East Troy and Burlington lines from June 27, 1903.
Burlington service ended May 2, 1928.  East Troy service ended Aug. 14, 1939.
Became end of Rapid Transit line operated by TMER&T, then Speedrail.  Service ended June 30, 1951.

HURLEY
Connected by trolley line to Ironwood, MI in 1910.  Line later extended to Montreal, WI and Bessemer.  Service ended in fall of 1932.

IXONIA
Served by interurbans on TMER&L's Milwaukee to Watertown line from July 31, 1908 to Feb. 1, 1941.

JANESVILLE
City streetcar service from June 24, 1892 to July 8, 1929.  Connected by interurban to Beloit from Nov. 22, 1902 to July 29, 1929.

KENOSHA
South terminal of TMER&L's Milwaukee-Racine-Kenosha interurban line from June 1, 1897 to Sept. 13, 1947.
City streetcar system operated by several companies including TMER&L from Feb. 1, 1903 to Feb. 15, 1932 when entire system was replaced
by trolley buses.
Also served by CNS&M (North Shore Line) interurbans from Dec. 2, 1905 to Jan. 21, 1963.

KAUKAUNA
Served by interurban lines from Appleton Jan. 29, 1902 to May 9, 1928, and from Green Bay 1904 to 1928.

KOHLER
See Sheboygan

LA CROSSE
City streetcar service 1893 to 1945.  Extension to Onalaska 1902 to Dec. 31, 1930.

MADISON
Local streetcar service from Sept. 30, 1892 to Feb. 13, 1935.  Abandonment of system was unexpected.
A snowstorm downed wires causing service to be suspended, and it was never resumed.

MANITOWOC
Connected by interurban to Two Rivers from 1902 to May 9, 1927.  Also, operated a single car city system.

MARINETTE
Streetcar service operated in Marinette, WI and Menomonee, MI (across river) from 1891 to 1928.

MEQUON
Served by the interurbans of Milwaukee Northern Rwy (later TMER&L) Oct. 28, 1907 to Mar. 29, 1948.

MERRILL
Local streetcar operation from 1889 to 1921.  Also, first use of a trackless trolley in Wisconsin (possibly in entire US) began in 1913.

MILWAUKEE
Served by streetcar lines and interurbans of three companies
First electric streetcar ran on Wells Street April 3, 1890.
1. TMER&L operated the largest system with streetcars covering most major streets.  Its interurban lines reached out to Watertown,
Burlington, East Troy, Racine and Kenosha.  The last streetcar in Milwaukee was operated on Wells Street by M&ST (TMER&L successor)
on Mar. 2, 1958.
The last Rapid Transit line, (former TMER&L) operated by Speedrail June 30, 1951.
2. The Milwaukee Northern Rwy operated interurbans from Milwaukee to Sheboygan.  They also operated a single streetcar line.
MN Rwy was later acquired by TMER&L.  
3. The CNS&M (North Shore Line) operated its interurbans between Milwaukee and Chicago.  They also operated a single streetcar line,
which ended service on Aug. 12, 1951.  The last interurban in Milwaukee was operated by CNS&M on Jan. 21, 1963.
A little known, but interesting line was operated by Milwaukee Solvay & Coke Co. to switch cars in its plant on Milwaukee's south side.  Due
to the excessive heat in the plant, the small electric locos were air-conditioned.

MONTREAL
See Hurley

MUKWONAGO
Served by interurbans on TMER&L's Milwaukee to East Troy line July 3, 1907 to Aug. 14, 1939.
Portion of line from East Troy to Mukwonago was sold to Village of East Troy and remains in freight and museum service.

MUSKEGO
Served by interurbans on TMER&L's Milwaukee to East Troy line Sept. 1, 1904 to Aug. 14, 1939.

NASHOTAH
Served by interurbans on TMER&L's Milwaukee to Watertown line Jun3 3, 1907 to July 21, 1941.

NEKOOSA
See Wisconsin Rapids

NEENAH-MENASHA
Connected by interurban to Appleton from June 19, 1898 to May 9, 1928.
Connected by interurban to Oshkosh from 1898 to July 21, 1927.

OCONOMOWOC
Served by interurbans on TMER&L's Milwaukee to Watertown line June 3, 1907 to July 21, 1941.

OMRO
See Oshkosh

ONALASKA
See La Crosse

OOSTBURG
Served by interurbans of the Milwaukee Northern Rwy (later TMER&L) Sept. 22, 1908 to Sept. 23, 1940.

OSHKOSH
City streetcars from July 19, 1897 to May 31, 1930.  Connected by interurban to Neenah 1898 to July 31, 1927.
Connected by interurban to Fond Du Lac from 1903 to July 31, 1927.  Also interurban branch to Omro from Sept. 1902 to 1925.

PARK FALLS
Although not a public operation, the Edwards Hines Lumber Co. used small electric locos in its lumber yards at Park Falls and Rice Lake until
1934.

PIPERSVILLE
Served by interurbans on TMER&L's Milwaukee to Watertown line July 31, 1908 to Feb. 1, 1940.

PLYMOUTH
See Sheboygan

PORTAGE
Local streetcar operation from June 1913 to 1922.  One of the smallest operations.  Didn't even have a carhouse to store the cars.
Used second hand cars from TMER&L.

PORT EDWARDS
See Wisconsin Rapids

PORT WASHINGTON
Served by Milwaukee Northern Rwy (later TMER&L) interurbans Nov. 2, 1907 to Mar. 29, 1948.

RACINE
Served by TMER&L interurbans on the Milwaukee-Racine-Kenosha line from June 1, 1897 to Dec. 31, 1947.
City streetcar (operated by TMER&L) from 1892 to Oct. 1, 1940.
CNS&M (North Shore Line) interurbans from Sept. 2, 1906 to Jan. 21, 1963.

RICE LAKE
See Park Falls

ROCHESTER
Served by interurbans on TMER&L's Milwaukee to Burlington line July 2, 1909 to May 2, 1938

ST. MARTINS
Junction between TMER&L's East Troy and Burlington branches.  Service from Milwaukee began July 21, 1904.
Burlington service ended May 2, 1938.  East Troy service ended Aug. 14, 1939.

SHEBOYGAN
North end of the Milwaukee Northern Rwy (later TMER&L) interurban line.
Service began Sept. 22, 1908 and ended Sept. 23, 1940.
Also served by Wisconsin Power & Light Co. interurban line.  Service from Sheboygan to Kohler and Sheboygan Falls began
Nov. 30, 1899.  Later extended to Plymouth, Crystal Lake and Elkhart Lake.
Passenger service between Plymouth, Cystal Lake and Elkhart Lake ended in 1927'
Line was kept open to the gravel pit at Crystal Lake for hauling gravel.
Service to Kohler,  Sheboygan Falls and Plymouth ended Dec. 11, 1938.
The spur to Edgewater power plant in Sheboygan continued to be served by electric loco until 1941.

SOUTH MILWAUKEE
Served by TMER&L interurbans on the Milwaukee-Racine-Kenosha line from June 1, 1897 to Dec. 31, 1947.
Also served by TMER&L suburban service from June 1, 1897 to July 5, 1938.

SUPERIOR
Combined streetcar operations with Duluth, MN.  Superior streetcars operated July 1, 1890 to June 23, 1935.

THIENSVILLE
Served by interurbans of Milwaukee Northern Rwy (later TMER&L) from Oct. 28, 1907 to Mar. 29, 1948.

TWO RIVERS
See Manitowoc.

WALWORTH
See Fontana

WATERFORD
Served by interurbans on TMER&L's Milwaukee to Burlington line from June 19, 1909 to May 2, 1938.

WATERTOWN
West end of TMER&L's Milwaukee to Watertown line.  Service began July 31, 1908 and ended Feb. 1, 1940.
Also had a short lived city streetcar service with a single Birney car.

WAUKESHA
Served by interurbans on TMER&L's Milwaukee to Watertown line.  Service began on June 25, 1898.
After cutbacks on Dec. 31, 1945 it became the west end of Rapid Transit line.
Closed out service being operated by Speedrail June 30, 1951.  Also served by previous line to Waukesha Beach (see below).

WAUKESHA BEACH
This popular amusement area was connected to Waukesha by the Waukesha Beach Electric Railway from June 1895 until taken over by
TMER&L.  TMER&L replaced this service with a new line through Waukesha and to the Beach, eventually reaching Watertown (see above).

WAUPACA
City streetcar service began July 4, 1899. Extended to Chain Of Lakes in King. Service ended July 4, 1925.  Exactly 26 years.

WAUSAU
City streetcar service began in 1906.  Extended to Rothschild in 1912.  All service ended Jan. 10, 1940.

WIND LAKE
Served by interurbans on TMER&L's Burlington line from June 19, 1909 to May 2, 1938.

WISCONSIN RAPIDS
City was originally named Grand Rapids, changed name in 1920.  Connected by interurban line to Port Edwards and Nekoosa.
Service began Jan. 11, 1910 and ended Aug. 15, 1931.  Most of line was taken over by paper mills for switching lumber cars using steam then
diesel.
Wisconsin Trolley Photos N-Z
Wisconsin Trolley Photos  A-M