The following is a list of EMD locomotives length as measured over the coupler pulling faces, end plates and the bolster center lines. The standard face of end plates to pulling face of coupler distance on EMD units is 25 inches, but there were several exceptions. This list is on going as I do not have them all yet. And as with all lists, there might be an error at times. There are also variations running around some where. Information is from EMD manuals or EMD web site and Jim Eager for the end plate lengths. There are others as noted. If you have additions and/or corrections, drop me an e-mail.
1. As measured by Don Strack.
2. Same frame as SD40T-2.
3. From Lance Myers.
4. Quote from Jim Eager "The inital 1966 EMD diagrams for the SD38/40/45 all show: 65' 8", 61' 6" and 40' but in practice I believe all were built to 65' 9 1/2", 61' 7 1/2 and 40'.
5. The early and late EMD specs are different, so??? I listed the GP15-1 to the later specs and the GP15AC/T to the earlier specs.
6. From Craig Prudian, AKA zz89my.
7. Jeff Capp in the March/April 2000 (Vol. 11, No. 2) issue of Diesel Era.
8. Built on SD40-2 frames. More info.
Last Update 05/27/03
This page and its underlying code, © 2000-2002, UtahRails.com. All rights reserved.