The Ballard & Thompson started operation in 1911 as a subsidiary of D&RGW RR. It is named after Henry Ballard and the town of Thompson. Henry Ballard had discovered coal in the area that was later named Sego. It started out as a small operation and later sold in 1910 to a group of Salt Lake City investors. One of these investors was the American Fuel CO.
By 1911, the rail line ran from Thompson, up through Thompson and Sego canyons to the Sego area tipples. Though not a large operation, 5 1/2 miles, it lasted until the late 1940's. The common motive power was D&GRW Consolidations.
Last Update 01/28/01
This page and its underlying code, © 2000-2002, Utah Rails. All rights reserved.