In 1909, the Castle Valley Coal CO bought half interest in the Southern Utah RR from Price to Castle Junction. It then incorporated the Castle Valley RR.
The last section of the Castle Valley RR was built in 1913. The Utah Railway was responsible for building under contract the "Black Hawk-Mohrland cut-off line" for the Castle Valley Railroad Company.
The Utah Railway bought this line on the day of its completion for $246,911, which happens to be the same day it met and completed the main line, October 31, 1914. Utah RY later built a new line to the west of the old grade.
The section from Hiawatha to price was abandoned while the branch from Price south was bought by the D&RGW. For some pictures and a map, please go to Utah Railway Photo Gallery.
Last Update 01/30/01
This page and its underlying code, © 2000-2002, Utah Rails. All rights reserved.