The Eureka Hill RR was the last of the Tintic area railroads to be built. It was organized February 2, 1907 and papers filed February 6, 1907 by Jessie Knight to bring ore from his mines and other mines in the area. It ran from the smelter in Silver City to the mines seven miles up in the mountains.
The Silver City yards were three rail to accommodate the narrow gauge Eureka Hill and the standard gauge LASL and RGW.
By 1928 the mines started to dry up and the Eureka Hill was no longer running. The rails were finally pulled in 1932 and the company dissolved January 25, 1937. They used shays for motive power.
The Eureka Hill Railroad now has its own web site. A lot of good info and history on it. Click here to go.
Don Strack also has a lot of information on his site. Click here to go.
Last Update 12/11/01
This page and its underlying code, © 2000-2002, UtahRails.com. All rights reserved.