SALT LAKE, GARFIELD
The Salt Lake, Garfield & Western RR began in 1891 as the Saltair Beach RY, running from Salt Lake City west to the new Saltair Resort. Construction began in 1892, as which time the name of the line was changed to the Salt Lake & Los Angeles RY. In 1916 the company was reorganized as the Salt Lake, Garfield & Western RY and made the announcement that the line would be electrified, a process completed in 1919.
The line used six motor cars for passenger use while retaining steam locomotives for freight until 1926. After that time the freight was carried in the passenger motor cars and trailers where needed.
The wires came down in 1951 and passenger service continued with a diesel rail car and the former electric cars and trailers were pulled with diesels.
Last Update 01/30/01
This page and its underlying code, © 2000-2002, Utah Rails. All rights reserved.