Construction of the Salt Lake & Mercur started in 1895. It started at Fairfield on the OSL and ran to the shops in Manning, which was also home of the Mercur Mill. From Manning, it started up Lewiston Canyon to Mercur Divide. The distance was only 5 1/2 miles, but it took over 9 1/2 miles of track to reach.
By 1913, the gold started to play out in the mines. One of the final moves was to move the machinery from the Golden Gate Mill. The rails were pulled in 1914.
The Salt Lake & Mercur used six shays as motive power
Last Update 01/30/01
This page and its underlying code, © 2000-2002, Utah Rails. All rights reserved.