Facebook Page
HO Scale IHC 2-8-2 converted to Oscale
IHC 2-8-2 to O scale Conversion


Fig 1
     On the 13th, the 2-8-2 arrived pristine thanks to the wonderful United States Postal Service.  I immediately pulled her from her packing, and dropped her on the track for a test run.(Fig1)  I was impressed, its a nice little locomotive after all.  Lots to do before Christmas, mebbe after the holidays, I'll have time to mess with it.   But then it sat there, mocking me, by Friday it was more than I could bear so I tore into it! 

     Dissassembly required only the removal of three screws, not something I was used too,and I had it down to a bare mechanism (Fig2)  I had a piece of thin wall PVC drainpipe that I cut to length and notched to fit down over the mechanism.  The original screw through the cylinder saddle was used to retain the new superstructure. 

Fig 2

Fig 3


     After butchering the locomotive, I turned my attentiopn to the tender.  I had a shell leftover from a previous project that I had ended up building, but not using.  Some quick measurements and I took a chunk out of the center of the tender frame, and added a new deck to splice it together. (Fig 4)  The shell was perfect.  I used some styrene I beam to flesh out the tender frame a bit.
     Returning to the boiler,(Fig 5) I wrapped it in .001 styrene and embossed the rivet detail for the smokebox in it with a pounce wheel.  A smokebox front was cut and fit from a piece of .040 styrene, as well as firebox sides.  A second piee of .001 styrne was used for a boiler jacket, with styrene strips applied as boiler bands, and a cab floor fabricated from .040 styrene sheet.

Fig. 4

Fig. 5

Fig 6


Fig 7
     A new wooden pilot replaced the old plastic HO one and a notch cut fo the future installation of a coupler and draft gear.  I used three sizes of birch dowel rod to turn domes.  Caps were placed on the sand domes while a ring was cut from styrene tubing to make a flange on the steam dome.


     A tapered stack is always a neat trick to pull off.  I started with  short section of styrene tubing cut to the appropriate length.  I then used a .040 styrene disk to make the top and bent a .040 disk to for to th boiler for a bottom.  With the glued dried, I applied Squadron Grey Modlers putty to form the tapers, and then sanded it smooth when the putty had fully dried.



Fig 9
     After sitting on the bench for a month, I finally got back round to working on the 2-8-2 which I think I will call No11.  I made an abortive attempt at a cab, then didn;t like the way it looked so I trashed it and started over.  The 4 walls are .040 styrene with a .001 overlay with embossed rivets.  Window and door frames are styrene strip and the roof is a single section of .001 styrene natcherly with embossed rivet detail.

Fig 10

Fig 11


     Decided to rebuild the cylinders for a more scale appearance.  Basic styrene tubing cut down to fit over the old cylinders.  Valve chests built up from styrene strip.




Fig 13

Fig 14

        Accomplished some detail work, built up the twin air compressors from styrene shapees and plumed then using .030 rod.  Estblished the running boards and air reservoirs as well.  Sanding line and injector lines (the injectors themselves will be hidden in the cab.