The impetus of theis project was need for some sort of passenger car for revenue service on the WCNG mixed trains. I selected a small combine so that it could be used to carry mail, passengers, and LCL freight.
The combine started by cutting out a plywood subframe to base the assembly one. After that the detailing began with attaching simulated sills, end beams, truss rods, bolsters and finally the trucks.
I wanted to have some sort of glazing in the combine windows, and the easiest way to accomplish this was to use a clear plexiglass subframe. I cut this frame out of 1/16 inch plex and assembled the structure with CA.
After the subwalls were assembled, I cut the roof and celerstory from soilid wood and shaped them on a belt sander.
With this bit of work done, I was able to move on to apply the siding and trim parts, and roughly outline the windows.
Incidentally thats a yellow 12 inch ruler laying on the table in fron of the car. The siding is made from pieces of 1/8 thick poplar with the siding scribed in. The trim is made up of micelleaneous pieces as appropriate.
I finished the model by brush painting it, adding couplers and doors and a few other details.
This page and all contents Copyright Bart Salmons 2001, 2002