Cambria is located in Weston County north of Newcastle, just off of US 85.
Cambria had its beginning in 1887. Its purpose was to supply coal to the western lines of the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad. The development of the town and operation of the mines was the responsibility of Kilpatrick Brothers & Collins, contractors to the railroad.
They built a reservoir, constructed more than 150 miners' homes, two churches, a school, a lodge hall, a three story hotel, a recreation hall, a bank, a courthouse, and company offices. Their big commissary store attracted shoppers from all over the Hills, and their opera house once put on a sold-out performance of Faust.
By 1928 the coal deposits were no longer sufficient to economically mine. Cambria was abandoned and rapidly fell into ruin. On December 31, 1928, the post office which had been established in 1890 was discontinued. Today little more is visible except the street patterns.
Last Update 07/22/01
This page and its underlying code, © 2000-2001, Wyoming Rails. All rights reserved.