Cody, mile post 42.7 on the Cody Sub, is located in Park County. Since before its beginnings as a town in the late 19th century, Cody has had the stuff to spark Western imaginations. Lewis and Clark party alumnus John Colter traveled through the area in 1807, observing unearthly thermal activity that led to his descriptions of what came to be called "Colter's Hell." Mountain man Jim Bridger and Theodore Roosevelt were among others fascinated by the physical beauty and bounty of this land.
But it was frontier legend William F. "Buffalo" Cody who gave the town its name and fame. Spurred by the Carey Act of 1894 which encouraged the settlement of arid Western lands, a partnership led by George Beck invited Cody to take part in developing a town. Cody enthusiastically agreed, helped promote the town through his Wild West shows, and ultimately called the town home himself. The Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad arrived in 1901, helping establish Cody as a tourist center and a gateway to Yellowstone National Park. The following year, Buffalo Bill built the Irma Hotel to serve vacationers, a role it still plays today. By 1909, Cody was the seat of Park County.
Cody's past -- and that of the West as a whole, are lovingly preserved at many sites throughout the town. The best known and most comprehensive is the Buffalo Bill Historical Center. In addition to its role as a Yellowstone National Park gateway, Cody is the headquarters for the Shoshone National Forest and an outfitting spot for backcountry adventures throughout western Wyoming. With about 8,000 people, Cody also is among the largest towns in northwest Wyoming and an important retail and services center.
Last Update 09/10/02
This page and its underlying code, © 2000-2002, Wyoming Rails. All rights reserved.