Rawlins, mile post 682.8 on the Rawlins Sub, was founded in 1882 by General John A. Rawlins, a decorated Civil War veteran. While guarding a work detatchment for the building of the Transcontinental railroad, he remarked that he was thirsty. A Scout Party was detatched, and found a natural spring. General Rawlins drank of the water, and declared it was the best water he had ever tasted, and that if anything was ever named after him, he hoped it was a spring of water. The Spring was immediately named Rawlins Springs, and a tiny town began to grow around the site. Sometime later the Springs was dropped to create the present day Rawlins. Rawlins was incorporated as a city in 1886.
Last Update 10/27/02
This page and its underlying code, © 2000-2002, Wyoming Rails. All rights reserved.