Saratoga, mile post 24.1 on the S.E.&V. Branch of the Wyoming-Colorado RR, started out when William H. Caldwell built a bath house near the existing hot springs on the east bank of the North Platte River offering hot baths and bed roll space for weary travelers and that was the beginning of what is now called Saratoga. By 1878, a post office had been founded for Warm Springs, Wyoming which by then was becoming a hub for cattle and sheep ranching, mining and timber harvest.
In 1884 the town was christened Saratoga when Fenimore Chatterton suggested the change, having visited Saratoga Springs, New York. Today travelers come from all over the world to enjoy the spectacular mountains, world class fishing and hunting, small town atmosphere and of course it's hot springs.
Last Update 10/27/02
This page and its underlying code, © 2000-2002, Wyoming Rails. All rights reserved.