Carl Morrison, Carl@TrainWeb.com Field Reporter and Photographer for TrainWeb.com
See My Current eBook at Amazon.com with this direct link:
For less than the price of a glass of wine, this eBook includes tips
for taking photos, not only of the Southwest Chief, but of tourist
trains, rail museums, private rail cars and other popular attractions
close to the Southwest Chief route.
Carl gives many suggestions as to where to eat, and where to stay along the way.
Includes over 350 photos by the author from over 20 trips on the Southwest Chief to illustrate proven photo concepts.
Over 100 of My Rail
I. Train Travelogues,
Conference Reports, and Photo Essays in the United States:
• A Day at Cajon Pass, Watching Freight Trains April 25, 2022
2,000-mile Road Trip from Orange County, California to Corvallis,
Oregon for Winterail 2022 and the TRAINS magazine/Santiam Photo
Excursion on Albany & Eastern March 16 - 22, 2022
• LA Travel and Adventure Show, 2022 March 12 - 13, 2022
• Trains of Oahu, Hawaii - Past, Present, and Future
November 9 - 16, 2021
• Amtrak Coast Starlight and Empire Builder Journey to Glacier Haven Inn, Motel, RV Park & Cafe and Izaak Walton Inn in Essex, Montana, including stops in Seattle, Washington; Essex, Montana; and Portland, Oregon. September 13 - 23, 2021
• Chris Parker Memorial Run on the Tioga Pass private rail car - Round trip LA to San Diego, October 15, 2021
(Would have been Chris' 65th birthday)
• Glacier Haven Inn, Motel, RV Park & Cafe - A New Railfan Destination between East and West Glacier Entrances - Amtrak Coast Starlight and Empire Builder Journey
- September 13 - 23, 2021
& Truckee Railroad steam train cab ride, August 7, 2021 at Virginia
City, Nevada, home of the Virginia & Truckee R.R. Tourist Train - August 7, 2021
• Los Angeles - Seattle Round Trip on the Amtrak Coast Starlight
- October 10 - 15, 2020
• Del Mar Bluffs, California - The Sandstone Bluff is Crumbling and nearly taking the railroad with it.
March 8 - March 9, 2021
* White Pass & Yukon Route Railway "The Scenic Railway of the World, Skagway, Alaska"
With Rainbow Glacier Adventures Tours in Skagway and Haines, Alaska July 29 - August 5, 2019
• 150th Anniversary of the driving of the golden spike joining of the rails at Promontory Summit on May 10, 1869.
An Amtrak/automobile trip from Fullerton, California, to the Golden
Spike National Historical Park, Promontory, Utah. May 6 - 13,
• The 2019 California Passenger Rail Summit
sessions will feature: Innovative technologies to improve the
passenger's experience; Transformative megaprojects in the Northern and
Southern California Megaregions: Latest developments in new passenger
rail vehicles: Sustainability initiatives to reduce passenger rail's
carbon footprint. April 24-25, 2019.
• Imperial Western Beer Co. and The Streamliner at LA Union Station Exclusive Preview.
October 3, 2018 Click Here
• Amtrak Pacific Surfliner Siemens Charger Locomotive Unveiling Los Angeles Union Station, California October 1, 2018. Click Here.
• 2018 California Passenger Rail Summit
- Extensive photos from this 6th annual Summit including equipment
displays, reception in the historic Los Angeles Union Station ticket
area, and the Patrick Henry Private Railcars. Photos also included from
the tour of the LA Metro Regional Connector Transit Project and Los
Angeles Union Station Tour. Slideshow of photos at the
Summit: Click Here
• Notes about traveling to the 2018 California Passenger Rail Summit with an assistance scooter
Amtrak Pacific Surfliner, Metro light-rail, Uber, LAUS Station Tour,
Regional Connector Tour, the Metro Board Room, and the conference
hotel: DoubleTree by Hilton Los Angeles Downtown.
• Amtrak Surfliner Round Trip Fullerton - Santa Barbara for Lunch, Friday, November 18, 2017 By Carl Morrison with Gary Hess.
Often, when folks know I ride trains
quite a bit, they ask me what train ride to start with, perhaps with
their children or grandchildren. For a turn-around trip in one
day, with ocean views, I suggest going from Orange County, California,
to Santa Barbara and back.
• 2017 California
Passenger Rail Summit
Speakers discussed funding, development, and strategic approaches to
the growth of passenger rail in the state. Joining us at this event
were state and federal representatives, passenger rail agencies, and
other leaders working together to shape the future of passenger rail.
• Amtrak Coast Starlight Round trip Fullerton - Sacramento Monday, April 17, 2017 - Return - Thursday, April 20, 2017 Those
who travel the highways see America's front yards; those who
travel the railways see the back yards, vineyards, and barn
yards. The purpose of this trip was to photograph and report on
the 2017 California Passenger Rail Summit held in Sacramento. This
route is the longest ocean view train ride in America and is more of a
tourist train than a business or commuter train. The ocean view portion is between Ventura and San Luis Obispo. It is popular with foreign visitors to the US and vacationing Americans.
• "America By Amtrak" A
train trip of a lifetime, covering 25 states on 6 Amtrak Long Distance
Trains and 7,638 rail miles by a 74 year old dad and 42 year
son, Matthew Morrison, July 5 - 22, 2016. Trains ridden:
Coast Starlight, Empire Builder, Capitol Limited, Carolinian, Crescent,
and Sunset Limited. Cities visted: Seattle; Chicago;
Washington, DC; Charlotte, NC; New Orleans and Los Angeles.
• A great place to research Tourist, Amtrak, and VIA trains is the LA Travel and Adventure Show
at the Los Angeles Convention Center. Take an Amtrak Surfliner to the
Los Angeles Union Station, then a Metro line to within a block of the
Convention Center. The show is also held in these cities:
San Diego, Chicago, Dallas, Washington, D.C., San Francisco/Bay Area,
Philadelphia, and Denver. Notes from speakers Pauline Frommer and
Rick Steves who will probably appear at each city.
• Orange Empire Railway Museum, Perris, California
A photo essay of "Behind the Scenes" Day, January 21, 2017. OERM 2201
South "A" Street, Perris, California (951) 943-3020.
• Nethercutt Collection, Sylmar, California.
1937 Canadian Pacific Royal Hudson Locomotive #2839, 1912 Pullman
Private Car #100 California, and approx. 30 of the finest automoblies
of the 1910s, 20s, and 30s era. Duesenbergs, Cadillacs,
Isotta-Fraschini, Delahaye, Minvera, Renault, Maybach, many other
European and American built automoblies.
• Amtrak California Zephyr Destination City - Reno, Nevada for Hot August Nights classic car show.
• Ringling Bros. and Barnum and Bailey Circus Train and "Out of this World" Blue Unit 2016 Performance.
• A Taste of Silver Rails Country 2016
The inaugural "A Taste of Silver Rails" event with local winery
tastings of their finest wines and local eateries offering up samples.
Admission included wine tasting and a commemorative wine glass at the
beautiful Silver Rails Event Center in La Plata, Missouri.
includes photos and report from a 4,000 mile Southwest Chief roundtrip
Fullerton, California, to La Plata, Missouri including photos from
Marceline, Swan Lake National Wildlife Reserve and Silver Rails
• 2016 California Passenger Rail Summit Annual
summit of passenger rail agencies of California held in the Los Angeles
Union Station Historic Ticket Office. Includes photos of trains on
display (3751, Amtrak, and Metrolink) and tour of the Regional
Connector Transit Project.
• Travel & Adventure Show at the Long Beach Convention Center 2016. How to Meet with Several Train Companies in One Day. February 27, 2016
• Amtrak Pacific Surfliner Fullerton to Oceanside and NCTD Sprinter to Escondido, California. With Jack Turner September 17, 2015
• Don Drummer - March 23, 1942 - April 23, 2015, Railfan, Memorial Page. August 29, 2015
• Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Baily Red Unit Circus Train comes to Southern California July 9 - August 9, 2015.
• The Circus Moves By Rail book summary by Carl Morrison
• Patrick Henry Private Rail Car, Fullerton, California July 27, 2015
• 2015 California Passenger Rail Summit, Sacramento, California April 28 and 29, 2015.
• Knott's Berry Farm Steam Train, Buena Park, California A Photo Essay with Photo Tips April 1, 2015
• The 2015 Los Angeles Travel & Adventure Show
February 21 and 22, 2015 Long Beach Convention Center, 300 E. Ocean
Blvd., Long Beach, CA 90802 with five railroads represented at the
• Pasadena, California via Amtrak Pacific Surfliner, Metro, and Metrolink from Fullerton, California Including the Metropolitan Lounge in Los Angeles Union Station, La Grande Orange Cafe, and Castle Green Hotel in Pasadena February 27, 2014
• Anaheim Regional Transportation Intermodal Center – ARTIC
at the first day of operation December 6, 2014, Night photos December
7, Ribbon Cutting December 8, Grand Opening December 13, 2014.
• A Rail destination report about Verde
Canyon Railroad - Clarkdale, Arizona; Jerome Grand Hotel -
Jerome, Arizona; Blazin' M Ranch - Cottonwood, Arizona. Photos include: Verde
Canyon Railroad, Blazin' M Ranch, Jerome Grand Hotel and the town of Jerome. September 17 - 18, 2014.
Adventure by Train to Wild West Towns including Flagstaff,
Clarkdale, Cottonwood, Jerome and Williams, Arizona, and not a shot was
fired (except with
Photos include: Grand Canyon National Park, Grand Canyon Railway and
Amtrak Southwest Chief. September 17 - 18, 2014.
Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Blue Unit Circus Train in Southern
California, July - August, 2014.
This report includes photos of the Circus Train, "The
Longest Private Train in the World," in Anaheim; a video of the train
enroute along the Southern California Coast; and photos of the Circus
Opening Night Performance in Anaheim.
• Training Mission - Amtrak Southwest Chief from
Fullerton, California, to Naperville, Illinois, Round Trip
May 12 - 28, 2014 Including Photos of: Illinois Railway
Museum; Milwaukee Lighthouses; Oconomowoc,
Depot; Jack Delano's Railroad
Photography Exhibit; and Silver
Rails Country, La Plata, Missouri
Passenger Rail Summit 2014,
April 2-3, 2014 at the Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation
Authority (Metro) headquarters, adjacent to Los Angeles Union Station.
• RailPAC - NARP
Annual Steel Wheels Conference Los
Angeles Metro Board Room at Union Station, Los Angeles
Saturday February 1, 2014
• Los Angeles Times
Travel Show - Using a Train, Subway,
and Light Rail to get there.
January 18 and 19, 2014.
• Glenwood Springs, Colorado, via Amtrak
California Zephyr - Destination: Hotel Denver - A Railfan's Dream Hotel
with station and track view rooms.
- 22, 2013
Vino Train June 4 - 9, 2013. "You
will not find a better value, better staff, nor a better route, in
America for a 6-day, 5-night round trip private vintage railcar
vacation than the Portland Vino Train."
• The Circus
Train is Coming to Town!
July 10 - August 4, 2013. Press Releases from Ringling, Interview
with the Trainmaster, Lonnie Sullivan, Performance Photos, and chasing
the circus train along the California Coast.
• National Train Day, May 11, 2013, Los
Railroad Days, May 4 - 5, 2013.
Includes photos of the Amtrak Exhibit Train, Disneyland No. 4,
Southwest Chief with LARail's cars passing through Fullerton,
California, just starting their Grand Central Terminal Limited Tour May
5th - May 20th 2013.
• The Iron Horse Wood
Relief Carvings of Jackie Hadnot.
His Promontory Point Golden Spike Commemorative 13' x 43" piece on
display at the American Passenger Rail Heritage Foundation (APRHF)
booth in Fullerton, California, May 4 - 5, 2013 and National Train Day,
Los Angeles, May 11, 2013.
• American Passenger
Rail Heritage Foundation (APRHF) organizational conference at
the Depot Inn & Suites in
La Plata, Missouri. See the APRHF's Mission, and many Venues
already established. Join the APRHF and learn more about
Passenger Train History in the USA and world-wide.
to Learn About Several Rail
Adventures in One Day: LA Travel &
Adventure Show and LA Times Travel Show
January 12, 2013
• Super Chief, “The Train of the Stars”
Inaugural roundtrip from Los Angeles - San Diego, December 29, 2012, on
the restored first lightweight Santa Fe Super Chief car, ACOMA, December 29, 2012.
• Silver Rails
Country October 17 - 27, 2012 Another Round Trip
on the Southwest
Chief from Fullerton, California, to La Plata, Missouri, and
Silver Rails Country, the home of American Passenger Rail
Heritage Foundation (APRHF).
Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Blue Unit
Circus in Southern California: Chasing it; Interviewing the
Trainmaster, Joe Colossa; Loading and Unloading the Elephants and
Horses; A Performance of the DRAGONS Show;
and a RIDE on the Longest
Private Train in the World! July 9 - August 27, 2012
• Los Angeles
Union Passenger Terminal (LAUPT) Walking Tour by the LA Conservancy
August 18, 2012
• Izaak Walton Inn, Essex, Montana
Traveling on the Amtrak Coast Starlight and Empire Builder for a
Spring, 2012, Visit to Glacier National Park. May 19 - 26,
• Trains of San
Diego County, California - April, 2012
• Hotel Santa
Barbara on "The American Riviera" and the Amtrak Pacific Surfliner
- March 29 - 30, 2012
Train - A Santa Barbara Wine Tasting Adventure, free from driving,
aboard the Vino Train from Los Angeles to Santa Barbara round trip.
Saturday, March 17, 2012
Southwest Chief from Fullerton, CA, to Albuquerque, NM
Including photos of Bosque del Apache National Wildlife Preserve,
Old Town Albuquerque, Unser Racing Museum, Santa Fe Southern Railway,
Classical Gas Museum - Embudo, and Taos Pueblo. January 17 - 22,
• Silver Rails
Country - A Photographer's Paradise in Middle America Located
in Northeast Missouri (NEMO)
at the La Plata stop on the route of the Amtrak Southwest Chief.
A Photo Essay featuring the Depot Inn & Suites, Silver Rails
Gallery and Event Center, La Plata Amtrak Station, Santa Fe Espresso,
Grandma's, West Winery, and five other photo essays around La Plata.
Star Dinner Train,
October 15, 2011. Put on your Sunday Best, pick a special
occasion and enjoy a gourmet dinner while riding a vintage classic
train through rural Missouri near Columbia. Learn about the
"Cornfield Bandit" and his effect on this dinner train experience.
Travel Writing and Photography Workshop"
October 16 - 20, 2011 Presented by Henry Kisor and Carl Morrison -
Reasons for holding your next small conference in the center of Silver
Rails Country at the rail-friendly Depot Inn & Suites in La Plata,
Missouri, on the route of the Southwest Chief.
• A "Car Free" Week
Along the Central Coast of California. Traveling by Amtrak Pacific Surfliner
and Amtrak Bus to San Luis Obispo, Solvang, Santa Barbara, and Ventura,
California,..all without a car. Including "The Longest Ocean view
Train Ride in America". August 15-20, 2011
• Streamliner Lounge
opens at the Orange, CA, Metrolink Depot. 1950s train decor
inside and out with a Ruby's Diner adjacent. Interior and
• Ringling Bros. and
Barnum & Bailey Circus, Red Unit,
July 25 & 28, 2011, Anaheim, CA. Includes photos of the
Circus Train, Animal Walk, Videos of the Animal Walk and some of the
Performance and interesting Circus Train Facts.
Train Day, May 7, 2011, at Los Angeles, California, with inside and
outside photos of Amtrak Equipment, Private Rail Cars, Los Angeles
Station, and other photos near the Station.
• Coast Starlight round
trip Fullerton, CA, to Seattle, WA,
with photos of the Parlour Car, Bedrooms, Diner, Coach, Tulip Festival,
Boeing Museum, Seattle Space Needle, Pike Market, Mt. Vernon, La
Conner, Anacortes, Port Townsend, Washington, and the Washington Ferry
System. April, 2011.
• "The Railroad
Revival Tour 2011"
a report about the Tour Train at the San Pedro, CA, concert 4/22/11 (3
bands, 2,000 miles, 6 outdoor concerts, all by 14 private rail cars)
• A slide show titled, How
to Take Better Train Photos,
by Carl Morrison. My train photos are used to illustrate the
different elements of composition. Use the >> button to advance
to the next slide. Use Command/- or Command/+ on your keyboard to
decrease/increase the slides so they show on your monitor.
• A Train for All Seasons A Ride on the
All-Season Verde Canyon Railroad,
M Ranch A Scrumptious Chuckwagon Dinner and Cowboy
Music Show after a ride on the Verde Canyon Railroad.
• A Winter Ride on the Grand Canyon Railway,
Williams, Arizona, February 8, 2011.
Free San Diego,
California - Where to Stay, What to Do, Where to Eat, and Where
Drink in San Diego without a car,
Using the Amtrak Pacific Surfliner, San Diego Coaster, and San Diego
Trolley. November 18 - 20, 2010
• Train Riders Association of California (TRAC) 2010 Conference
CA, with excursion to Alstom in Vallejo, CA.
• Vino Train -
Los Angeles to Santa Barbara Round Trip, October 23, 2010.
Dining, and Training with a Pacific Ocean View.
• Trains to Planes 2010: Taking the
Southwest Chief to Silver Rails Country, La Plata,
for the Depot
& Suites Kirksville Air Festival Sept. 12, 2010.
• Los Angeles, Griffith Park, Travel Town - A Railfan
Destination, August 15, 2010.
• Railfan - Dan Dalke's Memorial
Service, August 16, 2010.
Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus Train - 2010 Blue Unit
Report and Photos from Commerce and Anaheim, California, July 13, 2010
• Photo Essay: Trains of
Cajon Pass, California. May 25, 2010.
Training" from Fullerton,
CA, to Los Angeles to Essex, Montana Amtrak: Pacific
Surfliner, Coast Starlight, and Empire Builder.
May 12 - 13, 2010
Train Day, May 8, 2010, Los Angeles
• Photo Essay: No. 3751 4-8-4 Steam
Locomotive Trip LA to San Diego, May 1, 2010.
Conference, Los Angeles, April 17, 2010
• Photo Essay: Union Pacific's 1904
Santa Ana River Bridge, Riverside, CA.
• Luncheon by
Sea on the Silver Splendor,
April 11, 2010.
• Photo Essay: Surfliner and
Coaster Trains at Del Mar, California, April, 2010.
• VIEWS FROM
A SUPERLINER: Southwest Chief from Fullerton, California, to
LaPlata, Missouri, March 8 - 14, 2010, for the Silver Rails Gallery
Opening, and return to Fullerton.
Rails Country Attractions: LaPlata; Kirksville; Macon;
Higbee, and Hannibal, Missouri. Missouri Wineries and more.
March 8 - 14, 2010
Rails Gallery, La Plata, MO, Grand Opening, March 13, 2010.
A new Art Gallery devoted exclusively to Railroad Art of
nationally known artists.
• Amtrak's Dark Side -- Southwest Chief from LA
to Flagstaff, a Night Train. Flagstaff well worth the visit.
Feb. 1 - 4, 2010.
• The Name has changed, but it's the same Great Train ride
on the Overland Trail
private railcar: Santa
Barbarbara Vino Lover's Train, revisited January 23, 2010,
a seabird watcher's paradise.
• A current listing of 5 rail trips to
the Depot Inn & Suites in La Plata, MO, from California:
a. "Trains to
Planes" Taking the Southwest Chief to the Depot Inn & Suites
Kirksville, Missouri, Regional Air Festival, September 11 and 12, 2009:
Rail 2020 Conference and Fillmore & Western Excursion
November 6 - 8, 2009
b. Heading to the Passenger Train
Historical Society Meeting, Southwest Chief, Fullerton, CA, to La
Plata, MO, August 7 - 10, 2008:
c. Chris Guenzler reaches One
Million Miles Traveled on Amtrak, April 7, 2008:
d. La Plata,
Missouri, Rail Events on February 23, 2008:
e. The 10th Anniversary of
TrainWeb.com, December 9, 2006:
• What's New
with Santa Barbara Carfree in 2009? October 19 - 21, 2009
LA Rail and Pacific Railroad Society's Special Private Car Train -- LA
- Barstow roundtrip October 17, 2009.
Trail Private Railcar "Santa Barbara
Daylight Wine Lover's Train"
October 10, 2009
Taking the Southwest Chief to the Depot Inn & Suites
Kirksville, Missouri, Regional Air Festival September 11 and
Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Red Unit Circus Train
in Anaheim and Ontario, CA, July, 2009
Train Day 2009 in Santa Barbara, California, July 18, 2009
Back In Time
- The 21st Annual Behind-the-Scenes Tour at the
State Railroad Museum and Railtown 1897 State Historic Park
• "Steel Wheels in
California," RailPAC Annual Meeting, NARP Member Meeting, Los
Angeles, May 2, 2009.
• National Train
Day, May 9, 2009, Los Angeles Union Station.
History of Sleeping Cars 150th Anniversary Symposium and Passenger
Train Historical Society's Conference, April 23 - 26, 2009
• Loco Vino - The
Railroad Winery, offers the first railroad inspired wines for train
lovers and wine lovers, with collector series railroad photographs on
the labels. March, 2009
Sale - End of an Era - December 3, 2008
• Rails to
the Rim - Grand Canyon Railway Hotel and Train Package
- October 16-18, 2008.