Pedal-to-the-metal Connecticut Avenue drivers no longer need worry about a B&O train
blocking their way, but the B&O tracks survive. Before 1935, another set of tracks
extended perpendicular to these.
The Sunoco gas station occupies the site of offices of the Chevy Chase Lake & Kensington
Railway, a trolley line that opened in 1895 and ran north (to the right in this view)
along Connecticut Avenue for about 3 miles to Kensington. Later, the line was leased to
Capital Traction company, an amalgamation of several DC-area streetcar lines, but
abandoned in 1935.
Links to older pics:
~1900 looks north along Connecticut Avenue, carbarn at center-right,
~1921 north along Connecticut Avenue,