Facebook Page
Springfield Station

Springfield Station

The Springfield Station and Freight Shed. 1947. Photo taken by Warren Crater.


Postcard view of the Springfield Station. Circa 1910.
Collection of Jeffrey J. Jargosch.

#13 and Caboose 102 roll past the Springfield Station, the runaround can be seen in the foreground. 9/15/1944.
Photo taken by William S. Young. Collection of Thomas T. Taber, III

The Rahway Valley Railroad's Springfield Station (MP 4.40) was one of several passenger depots constructed along the line during the railroad's extension to Summit, which would have put the depot's construction date around circa 1905.  The station was, and still is located, on Mountain Avenue (known as Westfield Ave. at the time of the station's construction) in the Township of Springfield, NJ.

On May 24, 1905 a special train, carrying Louis Keller, arrived in Springfield from New Orange to ceremoniously open the line (Source: Rahway Valley RR Open, NY Times, May 25, 1905). The first known passenger schedule, including Springfield as a stop, is dated April 10, 1906 (Source: Passenger Schedule, effective April 10, 1906). Christian Gottsleben was the earliest known Station Agent posted here; W. J. Gilbert was the agent posted here in 1944.  

The Springfield Station served as a regular passenger depot until as late as April, 1921, thereafter passenger service was discontinued over the line. This building was the first, and only, passenger depot in Springfield Township, NJ. After the discontinuation of passenger service the railroad continued to use the station as a freight office, with a posted freight agent. At some point a small freight shed was constructed adjacent to the station.

There was a great deal of activity here. Union County Coal & Lumber was located behind the station and Schaible Oil was located on the opposite side of Mountain Avenue , both were customers of the railroad. Not only that but the railroad's only runaround (used to move the engine around the train), was located in front of the station. The runaround, used in the day's of passenger service to move the engine behind the train to push it from behind towards Summit, was used as a team track.

As an interesting side note, as the years went on and freight cars grew in length, width, and capacity, the closeness of the Springfield Station's roof to these larger cars posed a problem. Rather then move the building away from the tracks the railroad opted to "clip" off the edge of the roof adjacent to the track.

The railroad closed in 1992, but the Springfield Station had not seen a train since perhaps as early as 1980. The building changed hands a few times and is now the home of Hecht Chiropractic. The building remains as the only extant station on the Rahway Valley Railroad.

See Also:

Map 2D - Springfield Station

What the Springfield Station looks like today.

A Sanborn Map of the Springfield Station area from 1921. This map shows that Union County Coal & Lumber was originally located across the street from the station. It was later moved to behind the station and Schaible Oil took over the former location, now the location of the Springfield Fire Department.


Early photo of the Springfield Station. 2/1913.

1947. Photo by Warren Crater

Springfield Station and freight house. 1951. Photo taken by Edward Weber, courtesy of Don Maxton.

This map from 1947 shows the Springfield Station and Freight House as well as the runaround, team track, and two sidings for the builders supply companies. Map by Warren Crater.

#15 had just runaround this Frisco boxcar and is now beginning to shove it across Mountain Avenue, bound for the siding on the opposite side of the street. The siding was earlier for Union County Coal & Lumber but they have already moved to behind the Springfield Station. The siding, at this time, may have been utilized by Schaible Oil, but their start date is not known. 

At the far left can be seen the switch stand for the runaround. The switch stand sits at the edge of Mountain Avenue. In the distance, at the far right, can be seen a boxcar on the siding of Union County Coal & Lumber being unloaded, a truck is backed up to the doors of the boxcar. 1/6/1951.

#15 and Caboose 102 are seen here at Springfield Station, probably having just backed across Mountain Avenue after dropping that Frisco boxcar on the siding on the opposite side of the street. The brakeman can be seen climbing onto the footboards. 1/6/1951.

#15 and Caboose 102 head up a train past Springfield Station. In the background can be seen Union County Coal & Lumber. 1/19/1951.

#17 and Caboose 102 switch the team track siding at Springfield. 2/13/1956. Gene Collora Photo, Collection of RIchard J. King

Springfield Station and freight house. March 1958. Collection of Jeff Jargosch.

This view gives the reader a great overall of the track layout at Springfield. On the far right is seen the runaround. To the right of the freight house is the team track siding, with several boxcars waiting to be unloaded. In the foreground is Mountain Avenue, while in the background sits Union County Coal & Lumber Co. Note the broken crossbuck on Mountain Ave. and the switch stand, nearly in the roadway. 3/29/1958. Gene Collora photo. Collection of Richard J. King.

#16 pulls up to the Springfield Station. c.1972
Collection of Corinne Clark.

May 1980. Collection of Frank Battito.

The UCTC Special rolls past the Springfield Station. June 1980. Collection of Paul Carpenito.

Springfield Station. Photo taken by Jeff Jargosch.

The station and freight house at Springfield, as viewed from behind. Photo taken by Jeff Jargosch.

Springfield Station and freight house, looking towards Union. The passing siding has been removed. Photo taken by Jeff Jargosch.

The freight house at Springfield. Photo taken by Jeff Jargosch.


The freight house at Springfield. Photo taken by Steve Lynch.

Springfield Station and freight house, when they removed the passing siding.
Springfield Public Library

Head Back to the Station!