Dorset Joint Railway
An Outline History
The Somerset & Dorset Joint Railway (S&DJR) ran from Bath (Queen Square) to Wimborne and Broadstone, with running powers on to Bournemouth (West). At Evercreech Junction a branch ran westwards to Highbridge and Burnham, with further branches off to Bridgwater and Wells.
The S&DJR was formed originally from the union of the Somerset Central Railway and the Dorset Central Railway, to become the Somerset and Dorset Railway. It became a 'Joint' line when it was purchased jointly by the London & South Western Railway and the Midland Railway. Later it absorbed the independant Bridgwater Railway (opened in 1890). After the creation of British Railways upon nationalisation in 1948 it was controlled jointly between BR Southern Region and BR Western Region. It closed completely to all passenger traffic on 7th March 1966, although a small number of sections continued in use for goods traffic for a few years afterwards.
Further detailed historical information about the S&DJR will be added to this page in due course. In the meantime, please see the S&DJR Index for details of other pages already on RailWest about S&DJR topics.