EOS Digital Rebel XT
Boulder County Railway Historical Society
Display & Restoration Site / Valmont & Indian Rd.
Denver & Rio Grande
Narrow Gauge Gondola #1826
#1286 was built in 1903 and served the Rio Grande until the end of narrow
gauge freight operations in 1968. In the early 1950's #1826 was
modified to carry long lengths of pipe by having its ends removed.
Following its retirement in 1970, the car was sold to the Black Hills
Central Railroad in South Dakota. By the late 1980's, #1826 had
found its way to Laramie, Wyoming, where it was part of a display at the
Territorial Prison museum. Somewhere along the line, the car lost
it's gondola sides and took on the appearance of a flatcar.