[ BACK to: HEADLINE INDEX | MAIN Telegraph Index ]
"Canadian Pacific Telegraph Line Completed"
Originally Published February 06, 1890 in 'The Toronto Star'
The Canadian Pacific Railway Company's line of telegraph was completed and opened for business from Halifax, Nova Scotia to Vancouver, British Columbia [sic-original completion date was 18 December 1889 but many gaps were still evident on the circuit]. The British authorities in London were gratified that Halifax is now in direct contact with Vancouver and Victoria, British Columbia. However, the Western Union Telegraph Company [sic] has controlling circuits from Vanceboro, Maine to Halifax and New Glasgow, N.S. and through New Brunswick and Intercolonial Railways. It was hoped by the Western Union that they could prevent the C.P.R., from completing the [first] national nationwide telegraph circuit. The Canadian Pacific, however not to be beaten, constructed their wires immediately outside the railway fences. This necessitated getting the permission of every farmer along a distance of over four hundred miles to erect the necessary telegraph fixtures. The Canadian Pacific Railway Company now controls a continuous line of telegraphic circuits from Canso and Halifax, on the Atlantic to Vancouver, British Columbia on the Pacific, and also to San Bernardio, 100 miles south of Los Angeles, in southern California, a distance of nearly 6,000 miles of telegraphic connections.