[ BACK to: HEADLINE INDEX | MAIN Telegraph Index ]
"Canadian Pacific's Copper Wire"
Announced 12 October 1898
After four months of labour and the expenditure of $250,000, the famous copper wire has been strung from the Atlantic to the Pacific and is now in working order. The work of erecting the wire was begun the first of last May, and has been pushed ahead steadily ever since. The completion of this wire enables the company to work a direct circuit to Vancouver, and in consequence a quick service is maintained with all Pacific and Kootenay points. At present we are working the circuit duplex, with repeaters at Fort William and Swift Current. The wire is manned at this end by Messrs. James Collie and John H Lawson, two first-class operators. The wire is in fine order and works like a bell.