[ BACK to: HEADLINE INDEX | MAIN Telegraph Index ]
"Canadian Telegraphic Overview"
Announced 13 March 1901
The Canadian Telegraphic network began fifty-four years [see Note below] ago when a line was established between Quebec and Toronto. The mileage of Canadian telegraphs today is something just over 35,057 miles: 18,286 miles of which are controlled by the Great Northwestern Telegraph Company, 8,886 miles by the Canadian Pacific Telegraph Railway Company [sic], 4,973 miles by the Dominion Government Telegraph, and 2,912 miles by the Western Union Telegraph Company operating in the Maritime Provinces. It is calculated that this represents some 86,000 miles of wire, and more than 2,700 telegraph offices. With the exception of the Yukon telegraphs and the extension on the north shore of the St. Lawrence River towards Belle Isle, the lines included in the Canadian Government Telegraph Service were almost all established and equipped between the years 1880 and 1882. Three years ago, contracts were given for the supply of poles and for construction of the land line to connect with the proposed cable to Belle Isle off the Labrador coastline. But for the loss of the Government cable steamer last fall this cable would have been laid. When completed, it will practically reduce navigation between Canada, Britain and Europe to three days, the Oceanic distance being reckoned from land to land where passengers can be placed in communication with the world. This will be effected when steamships can receive and send telegraphic messages to and from Belle Isle. NOTE: This makes the year 1847 and in no way does this news article mention Canada's FIRST telegraphic company, The Toronto Hamilton Niagara & St. Catharines Telegraph Company. This company opened for business on 26 December 1846 (incor: 22 October 1846). The company reference in the news article is the Montreal Telegraph Company.