Facebook Page
Buckeye Truck Construction Photos Page 2

Buckeye Truck
Page 2
November 2001 - June 2003

After spending nearly 2 years constructing the B&O WagonTop Boxcar, I was not intent on utilizing poor quality, "store bought" trucks made from castings that are readily available from sources in the Live Steam community. With the incredible help of Fred Bouffard, I had complete access to a Matsuura 6M Ram Master 2 CNC Milling Machine and all the equipment needed to produce a series of Buckeye Trucks for the Boxcar and any other projects I will undertake. So, we spent the better part of 2 1/2 years perfecting a program to create entirely from bar stock a 100% prototypical model of the Buckeye Trucks. No CAD or CAM programs were used at all in this venture, everything done the "old fashion way", pencil and paper. Once completed the hand-written and calculated G-Code program totaled 3000 lines for the front and 3000 lines for the rear of the sideframes alone. These trucks feature prototypical bearing construction as well (no store bought roller bearings used). The side frames are perfect representations of the prototype, cored and "3Ded". Furthermore, since this was created using a CNC machine, at any time in the future that we may need more trucks all that is needed is to load the billet, call up the program and hit the start button. The following are photos detailing the construction of the Buckeye Trucks for the B&O WagonTop Boxcar...

click on any smaller picture to view a larger picture

Again, finish cutting the top portion of the front of the sideframe

The front of the completed and prototypical 3D sideframe

After the front of the sideframe was cut in the CNC Milling Machine, the rear was roughed to height in a Milwaukee #3 Milling Machine and reloaded in the CNC Milling Machine for the rear. There was a separate program of 3000 lines of code for the rear. Unfortunately, due to brake rigging, the prototype truck was asymmetrical front to back, so, the model was as well, necessitating 2 separate programs. Now you might begin to realize why this was a 2 1/2 year long project.

Machining in the vertical vice on the Bridgeport the pockets on either end of the sideframes representative of coring.

The completed sideframes, ready for lettering

We ended up extensively modifying a labeling engraver for the job of hand engraving all the sideframes

Myself (sitting) and Fred (standing) hand engraving the sideframes. Each sideframe was given a unique number. 36 sideframes in all.

More billets, this time for the bolsters

Turning the center pivot for the bolsters

Another shot of bolster machining

Like the sideframes, these bolsters were to be 100% prototypical as well, therefore, all details were included on the model.

Completed parts after about 2 years 3 months. Wheels, axles, sideframes, bolsters, and hardware, all ready for painting.

Completed and painted sideframes, you can still see some incomplete (yet masked) wheels and axles. These parts were all sprayed with Centari etching paint due to its extreme hardness once dry.


Buckeye Truck Construction Page 1
Buckeye Truck Construction Page 3
Back to the Live Steam Main Page