To the passengers, there appeared to be two photographers during this
summer day at Lake Roland.
The country's first wooden railroad bridge was constructed either here or along
the adjacent Green Spring Branch in 1832 under the direction of Col. Stephen H.
Long. An advocate of wooden bridges, Long teamed with the Baltimore & Susquehanna
(B&S) after disagreements with the stone-bridge-favoring Baltimore & Ohio.
In 1854, the B&S merged with other lines to form Northern Central RR. Before
that decade ended, the NC upgraded the B&S bridge here to permit the then-new
Lake Roland to flow under. The bridge and surrounding trackage were
damaged by Confederate sympathizers during the Civil War of the 1860s to slow
progress of Union troops from the north. After repair, the bridge was likely
modified for heavier steam locomotives, then again around 1990 for light
rail. Along the way, there may have been other modifications as well.
Long's bridges here