This disused alignment tour page covers the roughly two miles west from
Barnesville, Maryland to Dickerson, Maryland. The disused portions have
been separated into four arcs by the current alignment that is now part of
CSX's Metropolitan Subdivision.
The B&O began construction of its single-track Metropolitan Branch at
Barnesville (lower-right corner) during 1866. Double tracking of this stretch
would come some 40 years later concurrent with the buulding of new bridges
and a straightening that saw part of the original alignment subsequently left
Despite the passage of more than a century, a few artifacts remain extant,
starting with the visibility from space of the four arcs of original alignment.
The blue arrows point to those arcs, two on the north side of the current line,
two on the south.