The transformation of the Jones Falls valley from bucolic to bustling began
in earnest when the NC opened Charles Street Station in 1873. The site, a broad
riverbank, had been slated for a reservoir. The timing coincided with the
opening of the Union and B&P Tunnels that not only connected east and west
Baltimore, but also created a route linking the major US northeast cities,
one that broke the B&O's control of long-distance railroading to/from Maryland.
The station was served by NC trains, as well as those of the Baltimore & Potomac,
Philadelphia, Wilmington & Baltimore (all three PRR associates), plus
Western Maryland, making it the first Union Station at this location.
The NC positioned this station at an angle relative to the local streets,
just as its B&S predecessor had done with Calvert Station. In the photo,
Charles Street's bridge over the Jones Falls appears to be fairly new.
B&S track marker (Timonium)