Northbound AMTK 2024 is speeding toward the Quality Inn near New York
Avenue and 16th Street NE where during the early 1900s former railroad
foes B&O and PRR met to share a then-new route into downtown Washington,
DC (behind the photographer); for MARC commuters the two lines that met
now go by the names Camden and Penn.
Initially the B&O enjoyed a monopoly on railroad service to Washington,
but eventually the Pennsy muscled in. Each RR had its own DC station,
making the downtown area and Mall busy with steam engines, unsightly
steam engines according to the politicians.
In 1903 they "encouraged" the railroads to build a single, joint station,
and in 1907 Union Station opened. Under the auspices of Washington
Terminal Company, the B&O and Pennsy constructed a new approach to the
station, and for the next 3 or so miles tracks originating with the two
competitors still mingle.
On the left is the eastern limit of railroad maitenance facilities known
as Ivy City Yard.