To reach the then-new steel mill, during the late 1800s the PBR's
predescessor, the Baltimore & Sparrow's Point Railroad Company, built
to the mill from Colgate Creek (near Fort Holabird), along what become
Broening Highway, then across Bear Creek from Coffin Point to Lloyd Point.
Its bridge, the leftmost one in this photo, was purchased by the Northern
Central, the remnants of which are now part of Norfolk Sourthern.
Two other bridges were added parallel: one for a pipeline, and the other
double tracked for Baltimore Streetcar line 26 that operated until 1958.
Like the B&O line, the two rail bridges had a swing mechanism to permit
boats to pass. The photo at left, courtesy Todd Sestero, looks northwest
toward Baltimore City.
The bridges were removed around 1970 to make room for the Baltimore Beltway.
A similar fate was in store for the Liberty Parkway automobile bridge
upstream. In the aerial photo, the surviving CSX Bear Creek bridge is at
top, while at bottom is Bethlehem Steel, not yet in the frenzy of WW II