TrainWeb.org Facebook Page
MoPac Depots in Nebraska - SCREAMING EAGLES
Return HOME Return to MOPAC ROW MENU
 

MoPac Right of Way -
Depots in Nebraska

Return HOME
   HOME    Power     Cabooses     Rolling Stock     MoW     Depots
Depots
...
Structures
...
Rails
...
Sight Seeing
     
             
Depots &
Stations

List for Kansas

List for Nebraska


Buildings &
Yards

Bridges
Trackwork
Signs


MP Route in Nebraska Today
  List of MP Sights Across the Country

Lincoln's Union Station, jointly operated by the MoPac and C&NW, as it appeared sometime after the turn of the century - from a postcard

Mopac Right of Way -
Depots in Nebraska

With abandonments and renamings of subdivisions, the information can become confusing. Since many depots disappeared off the map by the 1950's, I divided things a bit differently from the Rails to Trails page by including the Talmage branch seperately from the Louisville and Crete subs.

 

 

 

 


Omaha Subdivision - Falls City to Omaha

City
Type
Structure
Built
Track Status
Current Location
Current Status
Current R.R.
Notes
Falls City combination depot brick 1925 in use on site closed, privately owned? Was used in its final years as an Agency. The most elaborate of Nebraska's surviving MP depots. MP built a large railyard here, reflecting this town's importance on the mainline.
roundhouse brick none business none
Verdon wood none gone closed 1971, dismantled 1974? none
Stella wood none gone closed 1971, dismantled 1974? none
Howe wood none gone closed 1935?, dismantled none
Auburn wood closed
Talmage combination depot wood none moved in town, at residence closed 1971, portable moved for private storage.
none Original depot dismantled in 1950's after portable depot was brought in.
Julian wood none gone closed 1961?, dismantled none
Paul
combination depot wood none moved to Buffalo City. closed 1965?, moved for private historic display, museum? none
Nebraska City
wood & stone standing? closed 1971 Was used for r.r. storage after closing.
Wyoming wood? moved to Nebraska City, standing? closed 1931?, moved
Depot was moved to Nebraska City by MP around 1934 and used as a freight station there.
Union wood & stone none gone closed 1971, demolished 1979
none Union yard now operates out of a trailer.
Murray
wood none moved closed 1963?, moved and converted to house. none
Mynard wood none gone closed 1942?, dismantled none
Plattsmouth
wood none gone closed 1964?, moved and converted to house, demolished? none
Fort Crook wood none gone closed 1961?, dismantled none
South Omaha wood none gone closed, dismantled in 1950's
none Depot used as rail office in later years


Nebraska City, Nebraska - Turn-of-the-century scene complete with ornate little depot, little steamer being oiled, and even a little horse-drawn "trolley" - T. Greuter Collection

 

 

 

Louisville Division - West Side Jct-Omaha to Weeping Water
Also see note on Talmage Branch

City
Type
Structure
Built
Track Status
Current Location
Current Status
Current R.R.
Notes
Springfield wood none gone closed, dismantled 1974 none
Louisville wood none gone closed 1969, dismantled none
Manley wood none closed,
moved for private storage
none
Weeping Water wood none Crete, NE closed 199?, moved none The last operating small-town station on the U.P. when closed. Four days before it's scheduled demolition in 1995, a Lincoln native bought the depot and moved it to his farm in Crete, Nebraska.

 

 

 

 

Talmage Branch (Talmage Branch Junction to Weeping Water)

This line was abandoned by MP between Talmage and Avoca. The line north of Avoca to Weeping Water then came under the Louisville sub. The line south of Talmage down to Auburn became part of the Crete sub.

 

City
Type
Structure
Built
Track Status
Current Location
Current Status
Current R.R.
Notes
Glenrock wood none gone closed 1901, destroyed none Burned down in 1909, then replaced with a boxcar shelter.
Brock wood none gone closed 1953?, dismantled none After dismantlement in 1950's, depot was replaced with a caretaker building - this was later moved for storage.
Talmage combination depot wood none moved in town to residence closed 1971, portable moved for private storage
none Original depot dismantled in 1950's after portable depot was brought in.
Lorton wood none gone closed, dismantled none
Dunbar wood none moved to Nebraska City, NE closed 1957, moved for private historical display none
Otoe combination depot wood none moved to Nebraska City closed 1950?, dismantled none at John Brown's Cave?
Avoca wood none closed none
Weeping Water wood none moved to Crete, NE closed 199?, moved for private use none The last operating small-town station on the U.P. when closed. Four days before it's scheduled demolition in 1995, a Lincoln native bought the depot and moved it to his farm in Crete, Nebraska.

 


 

 

Lincoln Branch (Union to Lincoln)

City
Type
Structure
Built
Track Status
Current Location
Current Status
Current R.R.
Notes
Union wood none gone closed 1974, demolished 1979 none Union yard now operates out of a U.P. trailer.
Nehawka wood none closed 1969, moved for private auto garage none
Weeping Water wood none moved to Crete, NE closed 199?, moved for private use none The last operating small-town station on the U.P. when closed. Four days before it's scheduled demolition in 1995, a Lincoln native bought the depot and moved it to his farm in Crete, Nebraska.
Wabash 1886, 1910, 1950's none closed / moved or dismantled none This town was served by three different MP depots over the years. The original was built in 1886. It burned in 1910 and was replaced. By the 1950s a small structure with minimal accomodations was used.
Elmwood wood none gone closed 1969, demolished 1977 none
Eagle wood none gone closed 1958?, demolished none
Walton wood none 1222 S. 27th St., Folsom Children's Zoo, Lincoln, NE. closed 1941?, moved none A 12x30 foot MP caretaker depot was installed in 1943. This was finally moved to the Lincoln Folsom Children's Zoo.
Bethany Heights wood none gone closed, dismantled none Later used as grain company office, later dismantled.
Peck's Grove wood none closed, demolished? none
Lincoln brick none gone closed 1987, demolished none The joint MP/C&NW was remodeled and reduced in size during the 1950s. This structure itself was demoshed in 1962. The site is now underneath the footings of the 10th St overpass. Afterward the agency operated from a freight office space.

 

The last of it's kind - a news article about the removal of the Weeping Water Depot.

from theOmaha World Herald

 

 

 

Crete Subdivision - Crete to Talmage to Crete Jct.
Also see note on Talmage Branch

City
Type
Structure
Built
Track Status
Current Location
Current Status
Current R.R.
Notes
Crete combination depot wood none moved to farm, west of Farmland Industries closed, moved for private storage none First depot was dismantled in 1950 after replacement by new frame building. This was used as agency in final years.
Kramer wood none gone closed, dismantled1949? none
Sprague wood none gone closed 1933?, dismantled 1948? none
Hickman wood none gone closed 1960?, dismantled none Original depot was dismantled in 1920's?, after a joint-agency with the CB&Q depot there was established
Panama wood none gone closed 1944?, dismantled none
Douglas wood none closed 1960?, portable moved for private storage none Original depot dismantled in 1950's, replaced by a small portable depot. Portable was then moved.
Burr combination depot wood none moved to farm closed 1960?, moved for private storage on local farm none Original depot dismantled in 1950's, replaced by small portable depot. Portable itself was later moved .
Cook wood none Depot was moved to private railroad siding (called Tangeman) closed, moved for private use by local grain company as storage. none
Talmage combination depot wood none moved in town to residence closed 1971, moved and used privately for storage none Original depot dismantled in 1950's after portable depot was brought in. Later the portable was moved.

 

 

 

Hastings/Prosser Subdivision - Prosser to Superior

City
Type
Structure
Built
Track Status
Current Location
Current Status
Current R.R.
Notes
Prosser wood none gone closed 1933, demolished none
Juniata wood none gone closed 1931, dismantled none
Hastings brick none gone closed, dismantled
none MP-built frame depot was later replaced after MP's aquisition of ex-C&NW depot and trackage in Hastings. Original frame depot then used for storage before being dismantled.
Pauline wood none Depot moved near Deweese closed 1995?, moved for private storage none
Lawrence wood none gone closed 1958?, dismantled none
Mount Clare wood none moved to local farm closed 1957?, moved for use as cattle shed none
Superior wood none gone closed, dismantled 1974? none

 

 

 

Sources:
An Inventory of R.R. Depots in the State of Nebraska
by Reisdorff

The Lincoln Star & Journal

Sources: MP Employees System Timetable No. 1, Nov. 30, 1969 &
MP Employees System Timetable No. 4, April 15, 1973
Missouri Pacific Railroad Co.

Return HOME
          trainweb.org/screamingeagle l Last Update to this page: 24 April, 2008
          All images & text 2000-2008 T. Greuter / Screaming Eagles, unless otherwise noted. All Rights Reserved.