Facebook Page
CP 6568
Model and photos by Leslie Ehrlich
CP S-3 6568
Canadian Pacific had over a hundred MLW S-3s on its roster, and 6568 is among the last batch of S-3s ever built.  I refer to this unit as a 'late model' S-3.  Late model S-3s were produced in 1956 and 1957, and they have welded carbodies, sand fill lids and angled number boards on the nose, and small cab side windows.  Compare the hood detail of 6568 with S-2 7053 behind.

I wanted to build a model of this particular locomotive because the real 6568 has been preserved and now rests at the Saskatchewan Railway Museum.  I hemmed and hawed over building this model for over a year, and when a used Atlas S-4 came along I took the plunge.  CN S-4 8017 (now a collector's item) sacrificed its shell (although I didn't throw it away) so it could become CP 6568.  I ordered an undecorated cab from Atlas and I bought a Smokey Valley S1/S3 hood casting to build the body.  This project required a lot of cutting, filing, and fitting.  First, I took a bent needle file and removed all the rivet detail on the cab and the hood.  That was a chore in itself.  Next, I took a pair of Miniatures by Eric CP RS-2 number boards and cut the mounting brackets off, filed them on a slight angle, and drilled a hole in the back of each board and inserted a little piece of brass wire for mounting to the hood.  I filed angled notches at the top of the nose, and then I drilled holes in the centre of the notches to insert the number board mounting pins.  Below the number boards I glued little square pieces of sheet styrene to simulate sand fill lids. At the top of the hood I installed a walkway over the radiator shutters. The hood was easy.  The cab windows were the real challenge.  As with all of my Atlas ALCO switchers, this unit needed more overhang over the cab side windows.  I filed a groove along the top and then glued in a piece of sheet styrene about 2mm thick.  I then cut out the post that separates both panes of glass on the side windows and glued in a piece of styrene to shorten the opening.  I filed along the bottom of the opening about 1.5mm and then installed side window frames made from very thin sheet styrene. On the front of the cab I glued a door made of sheet styrene over the original 'halfways up' fireman's side door.  And last but not least, I filled in the angled top portions of the outer rear windows with sheet styrene and extended the bottoms of the windows down about 4mm.  CP's S-3s and some S-4s had staggered end windows which provided train crews better visibility to the rear of the locomotive.  As far as I know only CP ordered this option on MLW-built switchers.  Finally, I took some clear plastic window glazing and cut out inserts for all the cab windows. The flush fitting window inserts look far more realistic than that great big arched glazing that slides in underneath the cab.

Cab rear view of  CP 6568.


Detail Parts:
Miniatures by Eric   H27 CPR Alco Switcher Horn
Miniatures by Eric   A1 CNR, CPR Diesel Radio Antenna
Miniatures by Eric   N2 CPR RS-2 Number Boards
Atlas  810210  Walkway, RS-1
M.V. Products  LS 17 Headlight Lenses for Athearn SW-7

C-D-S Lettering  HO-259 CP Rail roadswitcher - early narrow stripe scheme, c.1968