TrainWeb.org Facebook Page
BCK #43 - 2019 Updates


BUFFALO CREEK #43
ALCO HH660

Updates 2019
by Scott H.

April - May 2019

This spring in WNY has been even worse than last year to work outdoors. Finally on April 29th we had a decent day and picked up where we left off last year. On October 22nd, 2018, Bob M. and Jim L. ran the engine and then drained the crankcase into two empty 55 gallon drums. We now needed to scrape the years of accumulated crud out of the bottom of the crankcase before putting in new fresh 40wt. oil.

We started by removing the crankcase covers and sump filter screens. Using long handle scrapers, we pulled all the crud to the edges and sucked it out using a shop vac. Our newest crew member, Kyle D. got right into the action, literally! After a couple of hours, we had removed almost five gallons of sludge.

On May 6th, we continued the process of removing the sludge. Bob M. and Kyle D. removed and cleaned the two "CUNO" oil strainers that remove any large particles before they go though the oil filter. We also cleaned in and around the crankcase dipstick and the drain port below it. Rick B. used his carbide tipped scraper to remove all the old gasket material from the engine and the crankcase cover. He also threw our 24 volt charger on one set of batteries to get them ready for our next start up.

We got rained out on the 13th but were back at it on the 20th of May. We figured it made no sense to put nice clean oil through a dirty filter so Rick loosened the four 1" oil filter canister nuts and removed the old filter. We were happy to see how clean it was all the way to the bottom. A shop rag on a 36" long stick cleaned out all the left over oil and particles.

We used our prelub pump to suck the oil out of the 55 gallon drum and pump it into the crankcase. It took almost an hour to empty the first drum. After we switched barrels, we pumped the last 27 gallons in to the engine to give us the specified 82 gallons. The dipstick showed we were right at the top of the "HIGH" line.

May 27th was a perfect day to refill the cooling system. First of all I have to thank  "Clyde's Feed & Animal Center"  for allowing us to "borrow" 285 gallons of water. Their generosity is greatly appreiciated and they have always been a great neighbor. Thank you Jim! We ran about 150 feet of hose from Clyde's over to the locomotive and in under an hour, we had a full water gauge.

Rick and Kyle installed a new "WIX" oil filter and while the cooling system was filling, pre-lubed the engine and barred it over. This prevented the water pump from blocking the water flow like we experienced last year. With fresh oil and water in the prime mover we were ready for our first start of the season. Rick took the engineer's seat while Kyle and I were ready at the governor to add extra fuel if needed. In less than 20 seconds, the engine came to life two months earlier than last year and ran great.

June 2019

On June 3rd we had another productive day. #43 started without a problem and ran very smooth after it warmed up. Up until now, we have been using an auxiliary 5 gallon fuel tank to run the locomotive. At idle, the engine uses between 4 and 5 gallons per hour so keeping it full was not an issue. When the Society received the locomotive, it came with about 30 gallons in the main fuel tank. Little by little, we have drained and recycled most of the old fuel to remove any water and sediment from the tank. We were now ready to "fill her up!"

Later that week, Kyle D. applied a fresh coat of black paint to the cylinder covers and pony truck wheels of #4483. Just a little bit of paint makes a big difference. We are all anxious to get more of the engine prepped, primed and painted.

It had just stopped raining on the 10th when Rick and I reconnected the original fuel and return lines to the fuel pump. We didn't want to chance any sediment plugging up our nearly new fuel filter on the engine so we dropped the filter housing and ran the pump to flush the lines. In seconds, fresh #2D diesel fuel which we added last week poured into a catch bucket. Rick cleaned the filter housing before we reinstalled it.

While our battery charger was refreshing a group of three batteries we still had some time for other chores. We had around 27 gallons of new SAE 40 weight oil left in the second oil drum. So, for future use, we filled three clean five quart jugs with oil and took the remaing oil down to the BSOR shop.


The WNYRHS greatly appreiciates all the generous donations to this project to date. However, we could still use your help! All Donations to the WNYRHS are Tax-Deductable! If you would like to mail in a donation, send it to

WNYRHS Inc., PO Box 416, Buffalo, New York 14231-0416

         or Click the PayPal Button to make a Secure Electronic Donation. THANK YOU!




This page was last updated: June 10th, 2019

Web Site Hosting by    TRAIN WEB

The WNYRHS, Inc. P.O. Box 416, Buffalo, NY. 14231-0416 is an independent organization and has no affiliation with any other local or national group.
The Society is a fully qualified organization under 501 (C) (3) of the Internal Revenue Code and all donations to the Society are tax deductible.
©Copyright 1999 , WNYRHS Inc. all rights reserved

  Web Design & Hosted by  - Scott H.