|NJ #15 was built by General Electric at Schenectady, NY in July of 1952 along with six other units. These 96 ton - 1030 HP "Juice Boxes" were well suited for the electrically rich industrial yard. Using a power truck similar to those carrying Canadian National passenger units, the NJ made do with friction bearings and no transverse leaf springs. The traction motors were the same type #731 that were specified for Alco Diesel S-1 and S-2 switchers. For nearly 30 years it serviced the industrial community of Niagara Falls, New York until its retirement in 1978. Of the last existing four 600 volt Niagara Juction Railroad "motors," only #15 survives today in its original NJRR configuration. Stored awaiting restoration in South Buffalo, New York.|
| In 1976, there were 10 "motor's" working the 44 track miles of the Niagara Jct. Railroad. The seven locomotives ordered in 1952, were the largest single order for GE style locomotives at that time, allowing the NJ to remain all-electric after almost every other common carrier had gone diesel. The Niagara Junction was taken over by Conrail on April 1, 1976, when the locomotives were re-numbered to Conrail's 4750 series in August 1977. Electric operation was discontinued in January 1978, when the NJ "motors" were barely 26 years old!
By 1980, Conrail had moved entirely to diesel power and had scrapped four of the "Juice Boxes." 1983 saw the remaining six sold for scrap value. Three went to General Electric in Erie, PA. (#15 - CR#4751, #18 - CR#4754 and #20 - CR#4756). Metro-North Commuter Railroad bought the remaining three (#14 - CR#4750, #16 - CR#4752 and #17 - CR#4753), re-numbered them #401 - #403 and outfitted all three with "third rail" pickup's so they could be used around and under NYC's Grand Central Terminal. In 1998 these last three units were placed in a "dead line," and later scrapped.
For further information, please
to Joe Kocsis at Heritage_ltd@msn.com
or call Joe at 716-863-2957
Web Site Hosting by TRAIN WEB
The WNYRHS, Inc. P.O. Box 416, Buffalo, NY. 14231-0416 is an independent organization and has no affiliation with any other local or national group.
The Society is a fully qualified organization under 501 (C) (3) of the Internal Revenue Code and all donations to the Society are tax deductible.
©Copyright 1999 , WNYRHS Inc. all rights reserved