updated 22 February 2022
The R-1's operated into the early 1950's until they were all retired between 1951 and 1952 and scrapped. Unfortunately, none of these engines was preserved.
The massive 8-axle tenders (24,000 gallons water, 27 tons of coal) of eight of the R-1's were purchased by the Norfolk and Western in 1953 and attached to Y-4 class 2-8-8-2 compound mallets (see below). These engines operated until 1958 when they too were withdrawn by the N&W and scrapped. The tender shown below appears to have belonged to ACL no. 1808, as a late photo of the 1808 shows apparently identical dents on the right back corner.
N&W Y-4 No. 2084 with R-1 Tender
photo from Virginia Tech N&W Collection
Note- the area where the ACL heralds were previously mounted (where "AND" appears) can be seen to be free of rivets in the above photo.
Site launched May 16, 2003
Back to Top