TrainWeb.org Facebook Page
Photo Gallery: Other Rolling Stock
 

Canterbury Railway Society Inc

Photo Gallery: Other Rolling Stock

Copyright / Disclaimer Notice - Please Read


PW1 Overhead Line Inspection Vehicle

This was built 1930s to replace the E1 battery electric locomotive supplied by English Electric with the EOs in 1922. It is powered by a petrol engine and was in use at Otira for many years, becoming redundant when the electrification was discontinued in 1997. It was then transferred to Ferrymead where the engine has been overhauled and some minor repairs and painting carried out to the bodywork. Commonly known as the "piecart", it is now being used on the overhead extension towards Ferrymead Station.


PW2 Overhead Line Inspection Vehicle (RM 1)

This vehicle began life in 1933 when the then General Manager, G H Mackley, had a Leyland Cub converted to run on the railways as an inspection car. It was nicknamed "The Red Terror". In 1941 it was converted for use as an overhead line inspection vehicle at Otira where it remained until 1996. With the end of electrification between Arthur's Pass and Otira, the vehicle is now part of the South Island's only electrified railway, at Ferrymead, and is presently stored. For full history click here


Cranes 277 and 291

Hand cranes 277 and 291 are two of a number formerly in use on the Railways throughout New Zealand. Several have been preserved by railway museums. Crane 291 is a 4 wheel crane that was originally rated at 3 1/2 tons, but has since been derated to 1 ton because of its mechanical condition. It is the most commonly used of the two cranes at Ferrymead. Crane 277 is a 6 wheel crane rated at 5 tons. Both cranes are used extensively for all types of lifting work on the Railway and have been used together on a number of occasions.


Jiggers & Trolleys

Two of the traditional type of four-wheeled motor trolley are included in the collection as well as three hand powered trolleys, one of which was built by a Canterbury Railway Society member. There are also on site a number of trailers designed to be towed behind motor trolleys. Trolley stands have been built at Moorhouse station, Ferrymead station and at "The Island" between Moorhouse and Ferrymead.


Home > Photo Gallery > Rolling Stock > Other


  DESCRIPTION
LAST UPDATED
Click to open

Trolleython 26/3/02

04 May 2002

Click to open

PW2 "The Red Terror"

29 March 2002

Click to open

Kalamazoo under repair January 2002

29 March 2002

Click to open

Three wheeled hand jigger

29 March 2002

Click to open

PW2 "The Red Terror"

29 March 2002

Click to open

PW2 "The Red Terror"

29 March 2002

Click to open

PW2 "The Red Terror"

29 March 2002

Click to open

PW1 "Piecart" overhead maintenance vehicle

29 March 2002

Click to open

Six wheel handcrane

29 March 2002

Click to open

Four wheel handcrane

29 March 2002

Click to open

PW1 "Piecart" at Otira.

29 March 2002

Click to open

PW2 "Red Terror" at Otira

29 March 2002

Click to open

PW1 "Piecart" overhead maintenance vehicle

29 March 2002


Home > Photo Gallery > Rolling Stock > Other


Top

  Canterbury Railway Society Inc. Copyright / Disclaimer Notice