This line was originally constructed as the Placerville and Sacramento Valley RR, a subsidiary of the
Sacramento Valley RR and was also known as the Sacramento & Placerville or the Shingle Springs RR. Work began on the PSVRR in
May of 1863 reaching Shingle Springs in June of 1865. Later that year Central Pacific took over
and eventually completed the line to Placerville in 1888. Under Southern Pacific, the SV and PSVRR became
the Placerville Branch and was in service until the mid 1980's.
Currently the FEDSHRA group of Folsom is putting together a new "Sacramento & Placerville RR" to
run excursions on the western end of the line while El Dorado Co Historical Museum is working on
a railroad park on the eastern end near the town of El Dorado. From Diamond Springs eastward, the right-of-way
has now been paved for a multipurpose trail. In Placerville itself, some of the roadbed is now a new lane
for Highway 50.
1. The original line started here at the wye in Folsom,CA. This is also the home of FEDSHRA's new Placerville & Sacramento Valley RR.
2. A very nice cut at the crossing of Riley Street near the intersection with Blue Ravine.
3. Typical shot along East Bidwell in the Iron Point area of Folsom.
4. Once south of Hwy 50, the line passes into some very pastoral lands at the base of the foothills. Seen here near White Rock.
5. The line soon crosses Carson Creek at Malby Crossing.
6. After rounding the large hill in the background of the last shot, the line crosses and parallels
Deer Creek and Latrobe Rd into Latrobe.
7. The mound on the right appears to be where the Latrobe depot stood. Further confirmation is needed.
8. Plaque near the firestation in Latrobe. The line turns northerly from here and basically follows South Shingle Rd.
9. Just north of Brela spur is a spot I like to call "Doublecross" for obvious reasons.
10. The line crosses S.Shingle Rd again at the double sidings of Dugan(foreground) and Bullard(background).
11. Bullard was the site of interchange with the second El Dorado Lime and Mineral railroad.
12. A bit further east on the line, Limestone was the interchange with the original El Dorado Lime and Mineral narrow gauge railroad.
13. 2006 view of Shingle Springs depot under restoration.
14. By this 2010 shot, the depot has been a new business and SP caboose #1188 has been added as a display.
15.-16. East and west views of the site of tunnel 1. This is right next to Hwy 50 at the Red Hawk Casino exit.
17.-18. East and west views at the grade crossing of El Dorado Rd.
19. El Dorado Co Historical Museum is establishing a new railroad park including this depot replica at El Dorado,CA.
20. West of Missouri Flat Rd is a small industrial spur.
21. Looking west from the Missouri Flat Rd crossing. A few hundred feet of rail have been removed now including the switch in the next image.
22. Here we have the interchange with the Diamond & Caldor at Missouri Flat Rd in Diamond Springs.
23. Starting at Diamond Springs, the right-of-way has been paved for multipurpose uses. The metal building stands on the site of the old SP depot.
24. Southern Pacific did have a small freight loading yard at Diamond Springs. Here we see whats left.
25. A short distance eastward, a short spur left the main.
26.-27. The new path passes around this very long and deep cut a little further east.
28.-30. The line crosses Weber Creek next on a huge steel trestle. New railings have been added along with an overlook
in the middle of the bridge. Image 28 is shot from the overlook halfway across. Image 29 shows this "overlook" from the east end.
31. After making the creek crossing the line continues uphill towards Placerville.
32. End of the line. This is the site of the former SP Placerville depot and interchange with the Camino Placerville & Lake Tahoe RR.
This site has now been completely leveled removing any relics and now serves as overflow parking for the bus station/depot. Location is on Mosquito Rd just north of Hwy 50.