This is the same S-curve (left bank of the Patapsco River) as viewed from the
hillside above during the 1880s.
From this vantage point, we can see the Alberton mill complex at center, and
employee homes along the north bank of the river. For future reference, the
bell tower roof of St. Albans church is marked in orange, the cupola of the
mill in blue, and a smokestack in red. The unmarked cupola at the distant
left belongs to the manager's house.
The bridge at center is sometimes misattributed as a railroad bridge,
but it is actually a road bridge that connects Alberton Road and the mill.
A later version of the bridge was washed away in the 1972 Tropical Storm
Agnes flood. Debris from that flood, such as a tanker truck, can still
be found downstream.
Links to older pictures:
similar view in summer ~1900,
reverse view 1940