Though this Light Rail train has just crossed under the Curtis Bay Branch, it is
a relative newcomer. The bridge dates to 1914 when the B&O declined to allow the
Maryland Electric Railways Company (Baltimore & Annapolis Short Line) to continue to
operate the latter's trains upon B&O track from here into the city. The electric trains
were rerouted onto their own right-of-way parallel to the B&O's SBB, now at higher
elevation on the left.
Unseen on the right is a similar, older (1908) bridge over the Washington, Baltimore &
Annapolis. The electric train companies struggled to compete, and went through several
reorganizations and names such as the Baltimore & Annapolis Railroad (B&A), the Annapolis
and Baltimore Short Line, and the Washington, Baltimore and Annapolis Electric Railway.