The mound leads to this underpass of the B&O's Curtis Bay Branch
with a builder's plaque stating "1907 - Built By - Baltimore Bridge
Company - Baltimore, Md." The Baltimore Bridge Company was formed from
Smith, Latrobe and Company, founded by Charles Shaler Smith and Benjamin
H. Latrobe, Jr., the latter known as designer of the B&O's Thomas Viaduct.
Clearance is now limited here because the opening has been filled
with material washed down from the vicinity of Westport Stadium that
sits on a high bluff behind the photographer.
Though they have gone unused since about 1950, three of the four
brackets that once held WB&A catenary (overhead power lines) remain
secured to this largely-forgotten bridge.
As if to intentionally make locating the railroad more difficult, USGS
topographic maps omit the WB&A until 1953 by which time the B-W Parkway
had already erased all but a few artifacts in this area.
Curtis Bay Branch tour at this site