Steam Locomotives of the Canadian Locomotive Company
Canadian Locomotive Company Limited was incorporated federally June 9, 1911.
CPR 1835 N3a Cyl. 23 ½ x 32 Drv. 63" 180lbs.
42900 t.e. eng.weight 221800 total 369800 #1000 10/11
This 2-8-0 was part of an order for twenty engines (1820-1839), the first
order for the new locomotive company and the 1000th. built at Kingston.
This was the only CPR order for N class 2-8-0's built by CLC; most of
the 161 engines were built by MLW, 10 by little Canada Foundry in Toronto
and 1 by the CPR. Hundreds of Consolidation type locomotives were
built for and by the CPR as well as for many other railways large and
small. It was the main freight locomotive until the 2-8-2 came along.
Re# 3835 in 9/12, it was rebuilt May 1928 into N2a 3635 and then rebuilt into 2-8-2 5243 in March 1949.
CLC and MLW shared many orders from the CPR, which also built many of its own engines. Even little Canada Foundry got some orders. The larger Montreal Locomotive Works got a bigger share of these orders simply because they could build more engines. Regardless of who built them they were all identical locomotives, you could not tell one from the other without looking at the builder's plate. The CPR was big on "standard" designs and parts, although this is not say that certain components did not vary sometimes as a method of evaluating the performance of such things as stokers etc. Differences that were easily noticed came about as a result of changes over the years such as location of make of headlight, pilot or footboards etc. Alterations to tenders to increase coal capacity or replacement with tenders off other classes of engines were another noticeable feature of many engines.
These 2-8-0's underwent change as part of a major rebuild program the CPR undertook between 1923 and 1930 that saw all 161 engines (3800-3960) receive new frames, cylinders and motion, with some receiving enclosed vestibule cabs. None received mechanical stokers but some were oil fired. Renumbered 3600-3760.
N2a 3600-3760 23 x 32 63" 190# 43400 t.e. 236000* 375000* .5000
gal. 12 tons tender
NOTE: While the two photographs below are of locomotives built by Canada Foundry in Toronto, they are good examples of these 2-8-0's over the years and are identical to those built by CLC and MLW.
CPR 3958 N3c Canada Foundry #1000 1/14 Re# 3758 (see 3757
CPR N2a 3757 small tender 5,000 gallons Note extremely
high coal boards!
They were further rebuilt; "remanufactured" would be a more correct term such as used in the diesel era, when many were changed into more modern 2-8-2's equipped new boilers and larger tenders with stokers. This finally overcame a problem with the N2 class; simply stated they were under-boilered. The two "engines" could consume steam faster than the boiler could produce it, no matter how much the fireman shoveled. Nearly 100 N2 class 2-8-0's remained when the program was ended with only 65 engines completed (25 in 1949) by December 1949. Only 8 (out of 20) were originally CLC built. Except for six new Selkirks delivered by MLW in February and March, 1949, steam ended in 1948 with CLC G5 1301 and MLW G3 class 2472 Pacifics.
P1n 5200-5264 22 x 32 63" 215# 271000 509000 45000 (10000 gal. 18 tons)
CNoR 2134 Cyl. 23x26 Drv. 57" Pres.170# 34,800 t.e.166
tons working order eng. and tender #1052 7/12
One of 25 (2130-2154) Consolidation type locomotives ordered by Canadian Northern. Became CNR 2134.
CNR 2141 became known for hauling the last steam-powered
train on Vancouver Island.
ACR 38 Cyl. 22x28 Drv. 56" 200# 41,100 t.e. Weights 100 tons and 151 tons working order eng. and tender. #1094 3/13. CLC-Henderson/National Archives of Canada
One of five 2-8-0's (38-42) ordered by Algoma Central
& Hudson Bay.
AC 40 in the Soo, 1937. Harold K. Vollrath/Collection of Wayne V. Brittain
John B. Smith & Sons Ltd. 4 0-4-0T Cyl.13x18 Drv.
36" 165# t.e 11,840 #1217 5/16
This was a typical "dinky" engine used by contractors and industries, a saddletanker. It was one of six identical engines built for stock to have on hand for immediate delivery when ordered. What was not typical about this engine was the added diamond stack to catch sparks account working in a lumber mill in Callander, Ontario. It is interesting to note that when they were ready to replace the steam locomotive with a diesel in 1946 they turned to GE for a little 25-tonner like so many other industries did thus depriving CLC of an order. The mill closed in 1960 and diesel dinky number 6 was acquired by dealer Andrew Merrilees Ltd. and eventually resold in December 1970.
PGE 55 Cyl. 22x28 Drv. 57" 180# 36,380 t.e. Total
weight 172 tons. #1246 9/14
Four oil-fired 2-8-0's (53-56) were ordered in 1914 as
the small Pacific Great Eastern built north.
First engine (#1242 7/14) sold to PGE is shown here at
Alta Lake BC hauling train Number 1.
T&NO 141-146 Cyl. 25x30 Drv.63" 180# 45530 t.e.
total weight 202 tons. #1350 11/16
The next order for 2-8-2's was a large order of 50 engines for the Canadian Government's new National Transcontinental Railway. Another 50 engines quickly followed the next year and a further and final 60 after that. Many went to the ICR and GTP as well as the NTR, while others were leased to the GTR. All wound up on the CNR, eventually rostering 400 of these 2-8-2's.
CGR 2800-2899 (CNR 3200-3299)
CGR 2846 Cyl. 27x30 Drv. 63" 180# 53100 t.e. total
weight 222 tons. #1399 4/17
Locomotive 9 of contract number 538 (marked on smokebox) is one of ten 0-6-0 switchers being built for Canadian Northern Rolling Stock Ltd. to become Canadian Northern 408 #1533 9/18 (later, CNR 7367). CLC/National Museum of Science & Technology
CNR 425 (410-434) Cylinders 21"x26", drivers
51" diameter, boiler pressure 180 psi
One of 25 0-6-0's ordered by Canadian Northern, they were the first
CLC engines delivered lettered for Canadian National. They were identical
to a previous order of 10 by Canadian Government Railways for Canadian
Northern. Renumbered CN 7369-7393. These locomotives lasted until the
last decade of steam.
CNR 6000 Cyl. 26x30 drv. 73" 210# t.e 49,600 total
weight in working order 288 tons. #1696 6/23
One of 16 4-8-2's these were CLC and CNR's first Mountain type. They were the most powerful passenger engine in Canada when built and so successful that five more orders followed to a grand total of 79 engines.
CNR 4100 Cyl. 29x32 drv. 57" press. 200 lbs. Rated
at 80,265 t.e. with a further 11,470 for the booster. Engine and tender
in working order totaled 327 ½ tons. #1759 9/24
CNR 4104 assisting Extra 6156 East with 72 cars up Danforth, 10.15 a.m. July 7, 1952. Al Paterson
One of five 2-10-2's they were the first CLC Santa Fe types but not the first for the CNR. Ordered especially for heavy transfer and helper service in the Toronto Terminals area, from Mimico yard eastward through Bathurst Street yard included a 1.2 per cent grade to Danforth yard and Scarboro Junction. A westward helper grade of 0.6 per cent between Port Union and Scarboro Jct. (7 ½ miles) was also worked by these engines. More powerful than any other 2-10-2's in Canada, they were the most powerful locomotives in the British Empire at the time. They were also the heaviest until 1929 when the CPR's 2-10-4 Selkirk types were built
Old Time Trains Archives
A few years later, 33 more 2-10-2's went to CNR. 10 were built as oil burners, the rest had Standard stokers all of which were converted to oil about 20 years later. These were nearly 50 tons lighter and had 20,000 lbs. less tractive effort. Algoma Central added on two engines to this order. They were ACR's only Santa Fe types.
CNR 6100 Cyl. 25 ½ x 30 drv. 73" 250# 56,800
t.e. total weight 325 tons. #1800 6/27
Part of an order for twenty engines, it was the first 4-8-4 Northern type built in Canada, and was followed by large numbers of these popular dual service (freight or passenger) engines. Originally named Confederation type to honour the 60th anniversary of the Confederation of Canada, July 1, 1867.
CNR 6189 (#1969 9/40) last 6100 series 4-8-4 passing Hyde
Park just west of London.
EDBC 73 Cyl. 22x28" Drv.56" 190# t.e.39,140 total weight working order 180 tons #1821 10/27
The only preserved NAR steam locomotive was built for predecessor Edmonton, Dunvegan & British Columbia. Retired in August 1960 it was later donated to the Alberta Pioneer Railway Association who operated it for a time at their museum. It had been converted to oil in August 1952. It was one of three identical engines delivered the same day, Pembina Valley 72, ED&BC 73 and 74. These became NAR 72-74 Signature Studios
Bigger and stronger switch engines were needed as trains grew in size and weight, so railways turned to 0-8-0's, some new, some converted from 2-8-0's. In other instances 2-8-0's were equipped for yard service with pilots replaced by footboards front and back, a rear headlight applied and a fire hose added.
CNR 8350-8359 Cyl. 22x28 Drv. 51" 220# 49700 t.e.
eng.wt.113tons total 192 tons #1837 2/29
CNR 8352 at Bathurst Street, August 1957. Note the CPR engine on King Street lead. Don Mc.Cartney
Beauharnois Construction 114 0-4-0T Cyl. 15x22 Drv. 42"
170# 17,000 t.e. 43 tons. #1867 3/30
These 14 engines were the largest order for saddletank engines and were some of the largest and most powerful 0-4-0T's built. Miniature road engines, they were equipped with Walschaerts valve gear and were superheated, both uncommon features for "dinky" engines. Only one still exists and it is being restored for operation.