Busy scene waiting at the GTR Lindsay station. Note the two stagecoaches in right background. Postcard cancelled 1910.
Hamilton Terminal Company
Terminal station for radial railways. Opened November
Workers at MLW putting the final touches on a CNR Northern type 4-8-4 complete with smoke deflectors.
Magazine advertisement encouraging travel to Canada. 1950's
Interior tramway of the Saint-Jean-de-Dieu Hospital. Founded in 1873 it was long known as a lunatic asylum, the usual term applied to mental patients. The Government of Quebec built this facility in east end Montreal turning over its operation to the Sisters of Providence. In 1897 it was expanded to 800 acres with over 1500 patients. Re-named in 1976 Louis-H. Lafontaine Hospital it still operates as a mental health facility. It is not known when the tramway was discontinued.
Once busy Union Station in the heart of Ottawa. Closed July 31, 1966.
Toronto Belt Line Moore Park station as a residence. The most impressive station on this short-lived and long-closed line.
Street scene shows part of the little three car streetcar line in
Nelson, BC. 1947
Nith River, Grand Valley and Southern un-numbered caboose.
(ex CN 78444) This was a fictious railway named for the nearby river
along side the LE&N (Highway 24, Water Street South) just south
of Galt on a short unused siding at Mileage 1.1.
CNR advertisement for the Super Continental. 1955
First aid training was a good thing for the railways to encourage
since the work was so dangerous and often away from help.
CPR RS3 8454 and FB1 4401 with three cars of livestock
in St.Luc Yard. Of special interest is the yellow CPR Employees bus,
with Spans the World herald below rear windows. It circulated on a
route from Decarie Blvd. and Route 17 streetcar through to CPR Montreal
West station and the Sherbrooke Blvd. Elmhurst streetcar loop for
those who did not have a car.
Car Department road truck (Chevrolet panel delivery) with carmen at work on bad order box car.
CPR 7011 with one car passenger train operating between
Sortin Yard and Montreal West (2 miles) for employees only. Movement
was controlled by backup hose in one direction. It operated seven
days a week mid-day and possibly
Typical small prairie town scenes in these three postcards. c.1909
This current map indicates Leslie hasn't changed much in over a century.
Two views of an age-old practice known as "hooping
up". Delivering train orders on the fly. The order board
is at red, however, presence of the Operator on the platform permits
Extra 8758 West, the Cornwall Swing (a St.Luc- Cornwall Turn)
"Heavenly City" one of six 1928 designs for a new Montreal
terminal of 34 tracks with a 40 storey tower.
CPR 3521 assisting B&M 2734.
St.Johnsbury, Vermont. c.1940? Bud Laws Collection
CPR 3525 getting new tyres applied with fire ring. Kermit Geary Sr/Kermit Geary Jr. Collection
Cab interior of CPR 5468. More views. Robert Brown
Northern Railway of Canada (formerly, Ontario, Simcoe & Huron)
Davenport (Toronto) 1863
Valentine & Sons Publishing Co.Ltd./Toronto Public Library digital collection
Narrow gauge tramway of the Dominion
Rock Products lime kilns at Fourth Chute, east of Eganville,
Canadian Transfer Co. Ltd. Montreal