Canadian Pacific Railway
Other Branch Lines
The Berlin & Canadian Pacific Junction was chartered
in 1891 to build from Dumfries to Berlin (Kitchener) and Waterloo
Goderich & Wingham. First incorporated 1887 as Goderich & Canadian Pacific Junction it changed 1890 to G&W to build between Goderich and Wingham via Dungannon with a branch to Port Albert. Nothing was built.
The Preston & Berlin was leased October 11, 1903 by
the Galt, Preston & Hespeler. In 1905 it was extended to Waterloo.
January 1, 1908 the GP&H and the P&B were amalgamated and re-named
Berlin, Waterloo, Wellesley & Lake Huron.
Read more about these electric railways at ELSO
Changes Over the Years
Expanding traffic not only required bigger yards in London and Windsor, not to mention Toronto; it also required double tracking. Starting in 1904 between Parkdale and (West) Toronto Jct. and in 1911 to Obico, (except for the Humber River bridge which got by with a gauntlet track until it was rebuilt in 1914). In October 1912 it was added from Obico to Cooksville, and in 1913 it went on to open to Guelph Junction by the end of November. Surveys were also completed for double tracking to Woodstock where branches connected with the main line; but it was not to be, for there the double track ended, far short of London. It was not until the start of GO trains October 26, 1981 between Toronto and Milton, that a third track was added to parts of the Galt Sub. between Toronto and Streetsville. Bi-directional CTC was also installed to replace ABS signaled for one direction only. Guelph Jct. yard was rebuilt to accommodate over night storage of the commuter trains.
Rail was upgraded by 1930 to 100 lb. between Montreal
and Windsor, and this 39' long bolted rail safely handled Royal Hudson's
at 90 mph and Jubilees at well over 100 mph! In 1977-82 rail went to
115lb, and with the advent of
Automatic Block Signals (ABS), had been installed on the
Windsor Sub. over an eight month period beginning March 1,1944. It required
148 high signals and 40 dwarfs (on passing tracks) for the 108 miles
from London to Walkerville Junction. It also required a major re-arranging
of the 6 miles of ABS from London to Lobo. A total of 1,475 miles of
ABS then existed on Eastern Lines. The first ABS of this type went into
use early in 1944 between Chapleau and Schreiber.
Bi-directional Centralized Traffic Control (CTC), and
short sections of a third main track were installed for GO trains.
CTC has been added in small segments including at Wolverton with a 10,000 foot signalled siding and a running track. Nissouuri has a 10,175 foot siding with CTC extending from Nissouri East Mile 103.1 to London Mile 114.6 end of the subdivision and to mile 0.1 Windsor Subdivision.
Addition of CTC to expedite movements on the Galt Sub. including at Guelph Junction as pictured below.
Currently the Galt Subdivision is controlled as follows:
Strachan Ave to B/E CTC Sign Guelph Jct. = CTC
Note: Further expansion of Wolverton Yard Mile 69.5 is
planned. This is at least in part to make up for cancellation of a proposed
connecting of Coakley Mile 86.5 and Coakley West deemed not feasible
for engineering reasons.
9715 leads 246 westbound off the Galt. Sub. heading
south on the Hamilton Sub. Mile 76.1
Campbellville end of CTC.
Note: Track to left of approaching train is CTC controlled
and is the West Leg of Wye
Modern signals with LED lights began to replace older
style signals along the
Train orders issued by dispatchers and written out by
Operators all along the line were the way trains operated all across
Canada for more than a century. It all came to an end when a new system
known as Manual Block System (MBS) was introduced whereby Operators
were eliminated and Conductors wrote out their train's authority to
operate by radio
Chicago The CPR has long been at a disadvantage
in providing service through Chicago lacking its own line. The CNR has
NOTE: Although the Bruce Branches were
administered by the London Division
NOTE: The London Division was combined with the Toronto Division October 27,1991.
began operating May 15,1991 and were the most innovative change to the
London Division. Triple Crown Service, a subsidiary of Norfolk Southern
in the USA operates a network of these trains over its lines. This was
the first time RoadRailer trains were operated in Canada or anywhere
else off NS. These trains consist of specially-reinforced highway trailers
connected to each other. Early models had steel rail wheel sets along
with the rubber tires. Later versions used
Expressway is another method of handling highway truck trailers on flat cars. Expressway trains began operating over the London Division between Detroit and Toronto following relocation of the Toronto Terminal from Lambton Yard. opening on June 12, 2000 of a new permanent location west of Toronto on the Galt Subdivision at Hornby (Milton), and named Toronto (later, Toronto West). At this time service was extended west to Windsor and Detroit. It initially took up 25 out of 196 acres. (This land had been purchased for a new Maintenance of Way shop to replace West Toronto and John Street facilities. It never came about.) At this time the equipment had been changed to flat cars and re-named Expressway from Iron Highway.
Frame train: A DTS
(Dedicated Train Service) itself a little-known term, operated since
1998 between St.Thomas and Oshawa without change of crew or power at
Toronto Yard. It handled new frames from Formet (Magna International)
in St.Thomas to General Motors in Oshawa. Declining pickup truck sales
made for a big reduction of traffic and resulted in the "frame
train" being discontinued in August 2008 with the remaining cars
being handled by regular trains.
Last Frame Train led by 8200 is "in the hole"
at Killean for a meet with a westbound 8/08/2008.
Melrose: Just west of London is Melrose, a new
point on the Windsor Subdivision. Previously at Mile 11.8 just a diamond
with the CN Strathroy Sub. (Mile 12.2) existed west of Komoka (Mile
9.8). A new connection was opened at 1400
Shortlining: Effective February 26, 1998 the remaining portion of the Port Burwell Subdivision between Ingersoll and Tillsonburg was shortlined through a renewable lease to Ontario Southland Railway a locally-owned Canadian shortline. OSR had just recently (January 1, 1998) taken over operation of the Guelph Junction Railway owned by the City of Guelph. CPR had ended their long term lease of GJR. A further expansion occured effective December 15, 2009 when OSR leased the entire St.Thomas Subdivision between Woodstock, Ingersoll and St.Thomas connecting there with CN.
Toyota Woodstock Spur.
A 3 mile long spur off the Galt Sub. at Mile 81.75 near Woodstock was
built in 2007-8
Employee Time Table
No.24 October 26,1913
Ayr Pit Spanner article July-August 1950
Galt Wreck Wednesday, May 2, 1956
General Motors Diesel - separate article
London Division Power
See also Lambton
Road Engines gallery
Gallery 1 ........
steam and diesel
Back to:Main History
Back (Use your browser Back button)
Old Time Trains © 2017 2018