Facebook Page
Old Time Trains

What's New ~ Articles ~ Stories ~ Archives ~ Photographs ~ Preservation ~ Library ~ Home

Stories of the Local Lime Kilns as Printed in the Eganville Leader
(from "Reflections of a Century: Stories and Photos from the Ottawa Valley", published July 2002)

April 26 - The Jamieson lime kiln, located just east of the village, was fired on Tuesday for the first time and the smoke of a new industry now ascends day and night. The vicinity of the kiln has undergone a complete transformation within the past year. The bush along the waterfront has been cut down and cut into wood, and "Father Byme's" spring, rich in pleasant memories of the past has been deprived of its inviting surrounding - no longer to be a favourite resort to many from the heat and burden of the day. On the kiln premises are piled about 2,000 cords of four-foot wood, which it is estimated is a year's burning.

November 18
Eganville Will Have Most Up-To-Date Lime Plant
Due to the business ability and mining and metallurgical experience of W. Basil George and the consulting mining engineers, Alderson, Mackay and Armstrong, the Dominion Rock Products, Limited was formed and after a campaign of diamond drilling, sampling, etc., the Company erected a set of lime kilns. The kilns are of the most modem type, and embody the latest improvements for the production of lime, and, when fully completed, will be the most up-to-date lime plant in Canada.
The location of the quarries and general layout, including the Company's own private railway siding, will make for a low cost of production. A steel trestle 30 long and 50 feet high was erected by the Dominion Bridge Company of Montreal. The steel kilns are product of the McGann Manufacturing Company of York, Pa., and were erected under their personal, experienced supervision.
The product of these kilns will be a very high calcium lime and lime hydrate which is used by the pulp and paper trade, mining industry, building trades, agricultural fertilizer, paint and varnish manufacturers, chemical manufacturers and many other industries.
Each kiln has a capacity of 12 tons of lime per day and requires about four cords of wood per tonne of lime. These kilns are also designed to use coal, but it is the intention of the Company to use wood, as long as the prices of each remain the same. The company will require considerable wood each year, which will give business to the farmers, and, as a result, will also benefit the merchants of the town.
The company also owns a water power at Fourth Chute.


A drawing of the Dominion Rock Products Limited lime kilns built near Eganville in 1927-28.

August 24
Injured At Rock Quarry
Mr. Thomas Donohue, employed by Dominion Rock Products at the limestone quarries a few miles east of Eganville, was painfully injured in an accident which befell him on Monday morning while at work. He was on the elevated track between the kilns and quarry, and a loaded car hitting the loosened end of a plank caused such a jolt that Mr. Donohue was pitched forward and over the track. Falling on the debris of rock he was severely cut about the face and head, and, in addition, suffered extreme shock. Fellow employees went to his aid at once, and with all possible speed he was conveyed to Dr. Galligan's surgery here. A short time after, the Doctor had Mr. Donohue seated in his car, and, motoring to Pembroke, had him enter the General Hospital for further examination and treatment.

Working in the lime quarries at the Fourth Chute, east of Eganville. From the left, Doug Shane, Lawrence Aubrey, Gordon Gurlitz, Wm. J. Kruger and Harry Wolfe.

Working in the limestone quarry east of Eganville. From left to right are Jim or Clarence Kilby, Danny Tracey, Con Tracey and Frank Bochert with his team, Farmer and Millie.

January 6
Lime Kiln Plant Resumes Operations
The decision of Dominion Rock Products Limited, with headquarters at Montreal, to resume operations at its lime plant near Eganville, is viewed as the first ray of light in 1933 to dispel the gloom of depression in this locality.
This lime kiln plant is of the most modem type and represents an investment of a sum in the neighbourhood of $75,000.
The three steel kilns are the product of the McGann Manufacturing Co., of York, Pa., and were erected by the company. A steel trestle three hundred feet long and fifty feet high, connecting the kilns with the limestone quarried, was erected by the Dominion Bridge Company of Montreal. The future of this enterprise is very bright. The location offers several special advantages. The company has its own railway siding, the Bonnechere river flows by the property and the company is the owner of the water power at the Fourth Chute which has a capacity of 1200 horsepower, and it is the intention to develop this when additional kilns are installed.
The product of the kilns will be a very high calcium lime and lime hydrate which is used by the pulp and paper trades, mining industry, building trades, etc.
Mr. Robinson, the new manager, has had many years' experience owing to his connection with several of the largest plants on the continent. Under his supervision the preparatory work commenced on Monday. Mr. Greg. A. George, of Montreal, is President of Dominion Rock Products, and Mr. W. B. George of Eganville, Secretary-Treasurer.

November 9
Men Injured At Limestone Quarry
Two weeks ago Leo Tracey and Adolph Waldmann, working in the Shane limestone quarry near the fourth chute, suffered serious injuries to their eyes when a charge of powder in a five-foot drill hole, which they had been tamping down, exploded. Both men received the full force of the blast in the face and at first the most serious consequences were feared. They were immediately removed to the home of Mr. Daniel Tracey, father of Leo, and first aid given. Dr. Reeves was summoned, and Police Constable Johnston of Renfrew who was on the scene shortly after, drove the injured men in his car to Renfrew hospital. On Wednesday Leo Tracey, who was temporarily blinded in both eyes, returned home with sight restored. Waldmann remains in the hospital, and is thought he will lose the sight of the left eye.

June 2
New Company Takes Over Dominion Rock Products
A new company, the Federal Lime Limited, has taken over all the assets, plant and equipment of the Dominion Rock Products Limited, the scene of whose operations is about four miles east of Eganville on the Douglas road. It is the expectation of the new Company, that, in due time, it will develop a large business in the manufacture of lime and allied products. The success of the new Company will react to the benefit of Eganville and surrounding district. The head office will be established at Eganville. Mr. Gregory A. George is President and Mr. William Lawson Secretary-Treasurer.

April 1
A Transfer of Lime Properties
The Shane Lime Chemical Company, Limited, has acquired the property of Federal Lime Limited, located at the Fourth Chute about four miles east of Eganville. On the property are three kilns which have not been in operation for over a year. With the opening of spring, Shane Brothers will take over the plant and lay plans for increased lime production.

February 22
Lime Company Suffers Loss By Fire
Fire caused damage to the property of the Shane Lime Company at Fourth Chute on Sunday about the noon hour. The lime sheds, tools and paper bags were consumed. It is thought the fire in some manner, had its origin at the furnaces. The loss is estimated at $3500.

June 21
Shane Lime Works Change Ownership
The Shane Lime and Charcoal Company of Eganville have disposed of their interest at their Fourth Chute Plant. On Saturday, June 15, the Carleton Lime Co. of Carleton Place assumed new management. Their representative is Mr. S.J. Neilson. Mr. W.J. Shane will continue in charge of the plant and his brother, Mr. Douglas Shane, will be associated with him.
This plant, which has been known as Shane's Lime Kiln, was originally formed by the Standard Chemical Co. of Toronto in 1913, and was located just below the village limits, with the late John Shane as foreman. In 1923, Mr. Shane and his sons acquired all the interests. They also owned the Charcoal Plant at Keamey, which was dismantled in 1943.
For 34 years the plant has been in operation, employing 17 men or more, and running two or three kilns to keep up with the ever-increasing orders. When the deposit of limestone became exhausted at Eganville, the Shanes acquired the splendid layout of the Dominion Rock Products, halfway between Eganville and Fourth Chute, acquiring also an almost inexhaustible supply of rock, sufficient to guarantee the continuity of operations for years.

March 11
W. J. Shane Retires From Bonnechere Lime
Mr. S. J. Neilson, president of Bonnechere Lime Limited, announced the retirement of Mr. W. K. Shane, works superintendent, as of the end of February, 1960.
Mr. Shane has been in charge of production operations for Bonnechere Lime since this company purchased the physical assets of the Shane Lime and Charcoal Co. Ltd., three years ago. Mr. R.J. Fillion is promoted to the position of works superintendent. Mr. Fillion has been assistant to Mr. Shane since moving to Eganville in 1957, and was previously in charge of the plant operations of Carleton Lime Products Co., Carleton Place.

January 20
Bonnechere Lime Works Closes
Mr. and Mrs. Richard Fillion and family, residents of Eganville for the past five or six years while Mr. Fillion was plant superintendent at the Bonnechere Lime Products Plant at Fourth Chute, have returned to Carleton Place, their former place of residence. Reason for the move is the decision of the proprietor, Mr. S. J. Nielson, to close the plant until such a time as a substantial lime contract can be negotiated. For some time, a higher grade of limestone than that found at Fourth Chute was trucked from Carleton Place, where Mr. Nielson has a similar operation, and processed here, but this was found to be an uneconomical arrangement. Thus, the decision to close was reached.
The lime industry is one of the oldest in this district and it is a pity that the present action is necessary. Besides employing up to fifteen hands, depending on how many kilns were burned - there are three on the property - successive owners have always purchased large quantities of kiln wood, from farmers in the earlier days, and slabs from sawmill operators in later years. It contributed a great deal to the local economy and it is hoped
that changed conditions will enable them to reopen in the not too distant future.

July 9
Another Bit of Local History Is Dismantled
Sixty-three years ago, limestone cut from a nearby quarry made its way high over the Fourth Chute road, between Eganville and Douglas, for the first time on a newly-built tramway, to be dumped into one of three big kilns.
Ever since, motorists have passed under this tramway, marvelling at the structure and its huge supporting towers. Abandoned for nearly 20 years, many are unaware of the history behind the tramway and the lime kilns and in recent years, the old site has become sort of an attraction in itself. But it's all history now. The last piece of steel overpass was dismantled and trucked away last Monday.
The steel overpass over the Fourth Chute Road that was used for carting lime stone from the quarries in small cars on a railway track to the kilns, and the kilns themselves were dismantled in 1987.
Map of the area (my pencil markings of the location of the CN & CP rail lines - I'm unclear of the Douglas to Eganville route) EDB



What's New ~ Articles ~ Stories ~ Archives ~ Photographs ~ Preservation ~ Library ~ Home

Old Time Trains © 2005